Jump to main content

NEW SCARLET ENJOYS WARM WELCOME

Club graphic

The Tongan captain, who has moved to Stradey Park from Secom, Japan has taken no time at all in settling into the Welsh ways and is even picking up the lingo.

“This is a different culture and if you want to experience Welsh culture there is no-where better than Llanelli,” said Inoke. “I’ve already learnt to say ‘very good’ and ‘thank you’ in Welsh, but I think that’s about the full extent of Aisea’s Havili’s Welsh vocabulary, so I’m going to have to ask around if I want to make any further progress.”

But Inoke admits that coach Wayne Procter’s pre-season conditioning sessions have been less welcoming and somewhat different to what he’s been used to.

“When I arrived, everyone warned me about pre-season with Proc and I thought it was just their way of winding up the new guy. That is, until I endured my first sand dune session at Cefn Sidan, sharply followed by a session flipping tractor tires.”

But Inoke is looking forward to playing against the likes of Newcastle Falcons, Sale Sharks, Wasps and Toulouse at Stradey Park this year.

“Being the kid who likes to live his dreams, I wanted to come out here and have a stab at European Rugby,” he said. “Competition for places is tough, and that’s a good thing. There are a lot of guys pushing for a start and that’s what pushes you that little bit further.”