Jump to main content

BLUES CANCEL CHRISTMAS

Club graphic

The Blues have never beaten Welsh opposition away from home since they were formed in 2003, and Young is desperate to get something at either the Liberty Stadium tonight or at Stradey Park on January 2. In between, they host the Dragons on December 27.
And they take on the defending League champions tonight without All Black legend Jonah Lomu.
“Jonah picked up a knee in the back against Calvisano on Saturday, so we’re resting him,” Young said. “We’re hopeful that he’ll play a part in things over the holiday period.”
Young said his players would be lucky to get a day off over the Christmas-New Year period, but has told them they don’t have to turn up for training on December 25 – “because I’m all heart”.
“The fixtures are congested over Christmas, so I’ve simply cancelled Christmas. It’s becoming more like soccer now and it’s a very hectic time.
“The boys will train on the 24th, have Christmas Day off because I’m all heart and be back training on the 26th.”
Backrower Martyn Williams added: “It’s the price you pay as a professional rugby player – we haven’t had a Christmas for years!
“It’s a traditional rugby time of year in Wales and we just have to do our job. Besides, it’s great for the fans.”
Young has kept faith with the side who picked up 10 points in the Heineken Cup double-header against Calvisano, with Chris Czekaj returning to tonight’s team at the expense of Lomu.
“We haven’t made many changes because these are all huge games,” he said. “If we don’t put our best team out there, or something close to our best team, we’ll come second.
“I’ve been very impressed with the Ospreys. Although they lost narrowly to Leicester twice, they were playing a quality side and they’re playing well. They’ve got a very impressive scrum and their defensive lineout is causing teams problems.
“There are no huge weaknesses in the Ospreys side – you don’t win the Celtic League with nothing. I know we won in Calvisano – which I was very happy with – but the Ospreys are a better side.
“The three games over the holiday period are games we can win, but they’re also games we can lose. Everyone is going into the next two weeks chasing bragging rights.
“If you look right through the Celtic League, away wins are at a premium. It’s soemthing we’ve struggled with for four or five years, but we’re starting to produce the performances and it would be nice to start getting some away victories.”
Cardiff Blues: R Williams (capt); C Czekaj, J Robinson, M Stcherbina, C Morgan; N Robinson, M Phillips; G Jenkins, R Thomas, M Jones, D Jones, R Sidoli, A Powell, M Williams, X Rush.
Replacements: B Evans, D Goodfield, C Quinnell, R Sowden-Taylor, R Powell, R Warren, T Davies.

Ospreys (from): Stefan Terblanche, Adrian Cashmore, Richard Mustoe, Shane Williams, Andrew Bishop, Sonny Parker, Gavin Henson, Shaun Connor, Matthew Jones, Jason Spice, Duncan Jones, Andrew Millward, Adam Jones, Huw Bennett, Barry Williams, Andrew Newman, Lyndon Bateman, Ian Evans, Des Dillon, Jonathan Thomas, Steve Tandy, James Bater.