Jump to main content

Alfie backs Shane to break Wales scoring record

Alfie backs Shane to break Wales scoring record

Gareth Thomas reckons Shane Williams will continue to set the world alight and smash his Wales all-time try scoring record.

Share this page:

Welsh legend and 100-cap Thomas is just one try ahead of wing wizard Williams on 40 tries. Williams has scored four tries in his last two outings against Scotland and Italy.

And Thomas admits he won’t be surprised to see the pint-sized Wales star surpass his record in the remaining Six Nations clashes against Ireland and France.

Thomas said: “Shane always had the odds against him because wingers used to be big and strong but he blew that all away. He’s one of the best players in the Welsh team and it will be fantastic if he can score a try in the final two matches.

“Shane’s the one player that can set the world alight from nothing. He’s had his ups and downs in his career but at Test level he can change a game.

“It’s funny because when Shane scores a try, everyone in the pub looks across at me to see if I’m crying but I know it’s going to happen one day. It was a great achievement to have the record, anyone in Wales would have loved to hold it but I will take my hat off to him.

“I’ll be the first person to congratulate him when he does. I’m not a jealous person and he’s a friend.

“Now he’s getting the respect and recognition he deserves because he’s been a great asset to both Wales and the Ospreys.”

Partners and Suppliers

Principal Partners
Principality
Official Broadcast Partners
BBC Cymru/Wales
S4C
Official Partners
Heineken
Isuzu
Guinness