Jump to main content

Webb relishing Ravenhill return

Webb relishing Ravenhill return

Grant Webb insists he has a point to prove on his return to Ulster in the Magners League tonight.

Share this page:

No 8 Webb joined Newport Gwent Dragons in the summer after a six-month nightmare in Belfast.

The 29-year-old New Zealander arrives at Ravenhill with the struggling Dragons following three straight defeats.

Webb said: “The environment at Ulster wasn’t great and it was hard to fit in. They had a really difficult season last year results-wise and they changed coaches three times.

“Once I got a few games under my belt I wanted more. But it was tough. I got sick of training because I train to play, not play to train. In the end, I knew I was excess to requirements.”

Webb played just 131 minutes of rugby in three first-team outings for the Irish province including two Heineken Cup appearances after his move from Hawkes Bay in New Zealand last December.

But despite a difficult time on the field, Webb admits he misses the Irish way of life.

Webb added: “I loved my time in Belfast and made many friends. I wanted to stay in Europe but just needed to play games.

“The match at Ravenhill was the first one I looked for on the fixture list because Ulster have the best fans in the Magners League. They are extremely passionate and were excellent to me. It will be great to go back.”

The Dragons return to Ireland just six days following a 50-point hammering by Heineken Cup winners Munster.

Dragons coach Paul Turner has made sweeping changes with six new faces in his side.

Turner said: “The manner in which we leaked points last weekend was disappointing and this has been addressed.”

Ulster: C Schifcofske; A Trimble, D Cave, R Dewey, T Nagusa; N O’Connor, l Boss; T Court; R Best (capt), B Botha, R Caldwell, E O’Donoghue, M McCullough, R Diack, K Dawson
Replacements: N Brady, J Fitzpatrick, C Del Fava, T Anderson, C Willis, I Humphreys, B Cunningham

Dragons: P Dollman; G Wyatt, R Sidey, A Smith, R Fussell; J Arlidge, W Evans; A Black, – T Willis (capt), R Thomas, A Jones, L Charteris, J Bearman, G Webb, R Parks
Replacements: S Jones, H Gustafson, A Brown, J Ringer, R Gomer Davies, J Tovey, T Isaacs

Partners and Suppliers

Principal Partners
Principality
Official Broadcast Partners
BBC Cymru/Wales
S4C
Official Partners
Heineken
Isuzu
Guinness