Jump to main content

Aussies claim: ‘we’re not scared of Shane’

Club graphic

.Australia insist they are not running scared of World Player of the Year Shane Williams.

Share this page:

Wales’ wing wizard Williams lifted the IRB world crown in London earlier this week after a sensational 12 months.
Williams, 31, has struck a staggering 14 tries in his 13 Tests and was named Six Nations player of the tournament following a Grand Slam. 

But Williams’ next opponent Peter Hynes reckons the Wallabies will not be afraid of the pint-sized flyer in Saturday’s clash in Cardiff. 

Hynes said: “I respect Shane hugely but we won’t be worrying about him. It does not really matter whether he has won the award or not. “I’ve faced other great wingers around the world like Sitiveni Sivivatu and Shane is no different. 

“He’s really quick and unpredictable who can pop up at any moment of the game. Of course, we will have our work cut out to stop him but the key is to deny him time or space.” 

Hynes helped the Wallabies maintain their unbeaten run on their European tour with a late winner over France following victories over England and Italy. 

Now the 26-year-old Queensland Reds star wants to complete a clean sweep with another triumph at the Millennium Stadium. 

Hynes, capped 12 times, said: “I’ve been happy with my form and it’s been great to test myself against the best in the world.
“We’re playing well as a team and we’ve become more consistent but this will be our toughest challenge of the tour because Wales are in-form.

I watched the first half of their game against New Zealand and it was impressive. They will pose different questions to England and France especially up front. 

“They have a big set of forwards so we will have to be physical and front up.”

Partners and Suppliers

Principal Partners
Principality
Official Broadcast Partners
BBC Cymru/Wales
S4C
Official Partners
Heineken
Isuzu
Guinness