Jump to main content

Confident Cooper prepares for Aussie onslaught

Confident Cooper prepares for Aussie onslaught

Gareth Cooper has roared out a warning to his Wales scrum-half rivals after declaring, I am number one.

Share this page:

The Gloucester scrum-half will start against Australia tomorrow (Sat) in Cardiff  and he is backing himself to keep the number nine jersey for the Six Nations ahead of Dwayne Peel and injured star Mike Phillips. 

Cooper, 29, said: “I feel like I’m No1 again and I know if I play well this weekend, then I’ve got a big chance of playing in the Six Nations. 

“I’ve played lots of games for Wales and I was the number one scrum-half in the world in 2003 but a lot has happened since then. 

“It’s great to have the number nine shirt back and get a run of games in the side. There’s huge competition for places and always pressure to perform but it’s another chance to show I’m the boss.” 

Cooper has suffered a five-year wait to reclaim his title of scrum-half king. He was the dragons’ first-choice at the 2003 World Cup in Australia but has played second-fiddle for sustained spells to Peel and then Phillips.

But long-term injuries to Peel and Phillips handed Cooper the chance to re-establish himself on last summer’s tour to South Africa. 

His displays impressed Wales coach Warren Gatland who insists Cooper is the man in possession after naming him for the Autumn Tests against South Africa and New Zealand. 

But while Cooper has cemented his place on the field, the British Lion has endured a turbulent time off it this week after Gloucester refused to release him for the clash with the Wallabies. 

Cooper had trained with the Cherry and Whites in preparation for tomorrow’s game with Northampton before the Welsh Rugby Union and the Guinness Premiership side finally reached an amicable agreement. 

Cooper said: “I’m really flattered that Wales wanted me so much. I had a call from Alan Phillips (Wales’ team manager) after training on Monday to tell me I was available to play this weekend. When I heard the news, I was delighted.” 

The 39-capped star will line-up at the Millennium Stadium against rookie Luke Burgess who only made his Test debut against Ireland this summer. 

Cooper said: “Burgess is an exciting and energetic player who gives Australia a good tempo to their game. I’ve never played against him before but I’m expecting a tough battle.” 

Wales: Lee Byrne (Ospreys); Mark Jones (Scarlets), Tom Shanklin (Cardiff Blues), Jamie Roberts (Cardiff Blues), Shane Williams (Ospreys), Stephen Jones (Scarlets), Gareth Cooper (Gloucester); Gethin Jenkins (Cardiff Blues), Matthew Rees (Scarlets), Adam Jones (Ospreys), Ian Gough (Ospreys), Alun Wyn Jones (Ospreys), Ryan Jones (Ospreys, capt), Martyn Williams (Cardiff Blues), Andy Powell (Cardiff Blues).
Replacements: Richard Hibbard (Ospreys), John Yapp (Cardiff Blues), Luke Charteris (Newport Gwent Dragons), Dafydd Jones (Scarlets), Martin Roberts (Scarlets), James Hook (Ospreys), Andrew Bishop (Ospreys).

Australia: Drew Mitchell (Western Force); Peter Hynes (Queensland Reds), Ryan Cross (Western Force), Stirling Mortlock (Brumbies, capt), Digby Ioane (Queensland Reds); Matt Giteau (Western Force), Luke Burgess (NSW Waratahs); Benn Robinson (NSW Waratahs), Stephen Moore (Queensland Reds), Al Baxter (NSW Waratahs), Mark Chisholm (Brumbies), Nathan Sharpe (Western Force), Hugh McMeniman (Queensland Reds), Phil Waugh (NSW Waratahs), Richard Brown (Western Force).
Replacements: Adam Freier (NSW Waratahs), Matt Dunning (NSW Waratahs), Dean Mumm (NSW Waratahs), George Smith (Brumbies), Sam Cordingley (Queensland Reds), Quade Cooper (Queensland Reds), Lote Tuqiri (NSW Waratahs)/Adam Ashley-Cooper (Brumbies).

Partners and Suppliers

Principal Partners
Principality
Official Broadcast Partners
BBC Cymru/Wales
S4C
Official Partners
Heineken
Isuzu
Guinness