Jump to main content

History-makers braced for English challenge

History-makers braced for English challenge

Welsh Colleges are hoping their stunning form in the recently held British College Championships continues this Friday when they take on England Colleges at Abercynon RFC (KO 5pm).

Share this page:

The Welsh students tore through the opposition like a hurricane and blew the tournament apart with some devastating rugby. The side, coached by Wales international Jenny Davies, created history by becoming the first girls team during the championship in Loughborough not to concede any tries (in fact, they didn’t concede a single point).

In their opening game, Welsh Colleges crushed West Midlands 38-0 and recorded exactly the same scoreline in their next game against South East. North East then felt the full force with a 44-0 defeat before East (53-0) and South East (32-0) were also on the end of heavy defeats as Welsh Colleges completed the tournament having scored over 200 points without conceding a single point.

Adi Taviner, usually a back, was a revelation in the pack and was voted Welsh Colleges player of the tournament while captain Amy Lawrence was the leading tryscorer in the tournament with six touchdowns.

Davies, who has been coaching the side for three years, was delighted with her team’s efforts and she the side has improved dramatically in the time she has been involved with the side.

“Each year the commitment, dedication and professionalism of the players has improved significantly,” she said. “During the past two years I have taken a squad to Loughborough who I believed was a good enough to win a medal (they won silver in 2007 and bronze last year) but this year we knew the girls would win but I never dreamed they would do it in the style they did.”

Davies’s immediate thoughts are now focused on Friday’s challenge against England Colleges.

“We are very excited as last year we beat them at home and lost away but still won the cup on points,” she said. This year we would love to do a clean sweep and I believe it is possible if the girls play to the standard of rugby I know they can play and have seen them play [in Loughborough].

“But the games are not going to be easy as I know the English Colleges have a good team and they will put up a very hard fight and make it hard for us to play to our game plan.

Welsh Colleges squad:
Meirion Dwyfor:
Jessica McAuley;
Menai: Yasmin Leung, Gemma Stevens, Charlotte Pirie
Pencoed: Rhianydd Morgan
Neath: Nadine Powell, Jessica Smith, Natalie Williams, Alex Stokes, Amy Lawrence, Laura White, Adi Taviner, Kath Joseph, Kerin Lake, Rosie Fletcher, Natalie Watkins, Sian Williams.
Crosskeys: Karlie Tutton, Naomi Whybrow.
Ystrad Mynach: Cory Tourle, Aimee Williams, Rhiannon Taylor, Bethyn Davies

Partners and Suppliers

Principal Partners
Principality
Official Broadcast Partners
BBC Cymru/Wales
S4C
Official Partners
Heineken
Isuzu
Guinness