Jump to main content

Harries re-inforces Dragons backline

Harries re-inforces Dragons backline

Newport Gwent Dragons’ back line has been reinforced for next season with the signing of fullback Will Harries and the two-year contract extension agreed with Jason Tovey.

Share this page:

Rising Welsh star Tovey’s new two-year extension with the Dragons will see him remain at Rodney Parade until 2012. The 20-year-old fly half stormed into the Dragons side last season, playing 19 games and bagging 66 points for the Men of Gwent. Jason joins young stars Aaron Coundley, Lewis Evans and Hugh Gustafson in signing extensions as the Dragons continue to blend exciting young talent with experienced.

“I’m really pleased to be staying on at the Dragons,” he said. “I can see that things are moving here and we have made some good signings to strengthen our squad. Having come through the Dragons Academy, this is very much my team and I want to stay here for the foreseeable future and I’m delighted to have been able to extend my contract.

“Playing for Wales is obviously a big goal for me. I was delighted to get selected for the Welsh tour to North America over the summer and I feel that if I stay in form this season, then hopefully I’ll have a shot at getting selected again.”
Jason has represented Wales and the Dragons at every junior level and his form last season made a huge impact – both inside and outside the region.

“Jason showed last season his future potential and maturity as a player,” said Dragons Head Coach Paul Turner. “He is one of the rising stars of Welsh rugby and we are delighted to have secured his services for a further two seasons. He’s a local lad who has come through the ranks of the regions and having decided to stay with us, despite other interests, he has shown his loyalty to the team and the supporters of the Dragons. This signing clearly demonstrates our ability to develop and retain Welsh talent whilst bringing in experience.”

Tovey, who was named in the Welsh squad for this summer’s tour to North America, is joined by returning Welsh exile Will Harries who joins the region from Northampton Saints after a season on loan to Bedford. The 22-year-old full back, who can also play on the wing, is already a Welsh international on the sevens circuit

“We are delighted to be able to bring Will back to Wales, and in particular to the region where he started his career in our academy,” said Dragons Rugby Manager Robert Beale. “He is an exciting young talent and we expect him to have a prominent presence in our squad for next season. Will is renowned for his finishing abilities and he will bring an excitement to the back play. Although he will play predominantly on the wing, the fact that he can also cover full back makes him a valuable signing for us.”

Jason Tovey
DoB: 28 April, 1989
Birthplace: Newport, Wales
Height: 1.80m
Weight: 80kg
Position: Fly half
International honours: Wales U16 / Wales U18 / Wales U19 / Wales U20 / Wales Sevens

Will Harries
DoB: 30 March, 1987
Birthplace: Cardiff, Wales
Height: 1.73 m
Weight: 80 kg
Position: Full Back / Wing
International Honours: Wales Sevens

Partners and Suppliers

Principal Partners
Principality
Official Broadcast Partners
BBC Cymru/Wales