Jump to main content

Positive Sidoli pushing for Play-Off spot

Positive Sidoli pushing for Play-Off spot

Robert Sidoli says the feel good factor at Rodney Parade is helping the Dragons’ push for a Magners League Play-Off spot.

Share this page:

The Men of Gwent currently lie in sixth spot in the standings following an outstanding 28-20 victory over the Ospreys last time out.

Having being largely written off prior to the start of the current season, the Dragons have hit back at their critics with seven wins and a draw from their 14 Magners League games to date.

And second row Sidoli, who joined the region last summer, admits that his own excitement at being back in the Magners League is being matched by the enthusiasm of each and every member of the Dragons squad.

“I believe it’s a great league and the boys have just gelled here. We are enjoying ourselves here and that is the key thing,” said Sidoli, who was a Magners League regular with Cardiff Blues before moving to English side Bristol in 2008.

“I was just glad I had an opportunity to come back to Wales and play in the Magners League.

“We have tried to make sure we have a good product. If we can change people’s opinions of us that’s a good thing.

“We’re a good team. We can play the underdog card quite well and I think we did that against the Ospreys.

“It was a big test for us and that was a big win, which will help the team grow.

“We played a Heineken Cup quarter-final team and we met them head on. That shows the talent in the squad.”

And it’s not just the Dragons who are now finally receiving the credit they deserve for their performances this season.

Sidoli’s own form has seen him linked with an international recall ahead of Wales’ forthcoming summer tour to New Zealand.

A Grand Slam winner in 2005, Sidoli stood toe-to-toe with current international trio Jonathan Thomas, Ian Gough and Ian Evans against the Ospreys and the 30-year-old admitted he would love the chance to represent his country again.

“If there is a chance of playing for Wales I would grab it with both hands,” said Sidoli, who won 42 international caps between 2002 and 2007.

“I feel I am playing well after a quiet final season with the Blues when I really struggled.

“I had a year on the dark side but I did enjoy it and it gave me time to reflect.

“It’s taken a while to get back but the squad and the coaching here is bringing the best out of myself and all the players.”

Partners and Suppliers

Principal Partners
Principality
Official Broadcast Partners
BBC Cymru/Wales
S4C
Official Partners
Heineken
Isuzu
Guinness