Jump to main content

Athletic repel dogged Pontyclun challenge

Athletic repel dogged Pontyclun challenge

Underdogs Pontyclun showed plenty of bite but Neath Athletic proved their top dogs status with a hard fought 15-8 WRU Women’s National Cup final victory at Maesteg on Sunday.

Share this page:

Neath have swept the board this season having not lost a game but Pontyclun pushed the firm favourites all the way and actually held a slender 3-0 lead at the break thanks to a Laura Prosser penalty.

The match will still evenly poised in the second half with Prosser and Neath skipper Lowri Harries crossing the whitewash for their respective tries.

With Pontyclun’s backrow tearing into the breakdown, Neath’s usual flowing game was disrupted but in the final quarter, due mainly to a couple of tactical changes, Neath began to find their rhythm.

Centres Adi Taviner and Siwan Lillicrap raced over for tries to put Neath in command for Harries to lift the National Cup amongst jubilant celebrations.

Neath Athletic Team manager Amanda Williams admitted afterwards that her side had to dig deep for the victory.

“To be fair to Pontyclun they raised their game but a lot of our girls simply didn’t perform on the day,” she said. “I’ve never seen so many players so nervous before a game. Pontyclun were able to disrupt us so we were unable to settle but is shows how good a side we are when we still manage to win the cup without having played to our usual high standards in the final.”

Her opposite number at Pontclun, Melanie Bernard, said: !I think its fair to say that we were the underdogs going into the match after the impressive season Neath have had, but equally I think we proved that the underdog certainly bites and surprised a few faces going into half time with a clean sheet and three points up.

“We have real strength and depth as a squad this season, something that we haven’t had before. We’ve got great talent and experience with the likes of Catryn Grundy finishing her 10th year as a Falcon; but also several newbies that have joined this season and have really shone for us including Ceri Bowen who even nudged our international scrum half out into fly half!

“Although the result didn’t go our way it was a great game for the spectators and a positive example of the passion within and increasing standard of women’s rugby in Wales.

“The Falcons played out of their skins and certainly shed blood sweat and tears for each other. I think everyone involved this season can walk away with their heads and spirits high after that performance and look forward to competing again next year.”

CLICK HERE to view a gallery from the match

Partners and Suppliers

Principal Partners
Principality
Official Broadcast Partners
BBC Cymru/Wales
S4C
Official Partners
Heineken
Isuzu
Guinness