Jump to main content

Howlett praises Wales

Howlett praises Wales

All Black wing Doug Howlett returns to the international fold with the Barbarians this weekend and he has heaped praise on Saturday’s opponents Wales by outlining his belief that they can be a huge force in this year’s World Cup.

Share this page:

The record New Zealand try-scorer was still on club duty with Munster at the weekend, helping them to lift the Magners League crown whilst the Barbarians were in action, beating England in the first of their two-test summer tour.

After adding another trophy to his CV, Howlett’s attention turned to the Millennium Stadium clash against Wales and whilst he acknowledges the game will be a showpiece of World rugby talent he was quick to outline that his is under no illusions of the challenge the Barbarians will face in Cardiff.

“It’s going to be a cracking game,” he said.

“It will be great going back to Cardiff but the Welsh lads will certainly be up for it.

“The pool of players the Welsh have is exceptional and if they can get them all fit and onto the field at the same time they are going to be a huge force at the World Cup.”

Howlett’s last appearance for the All Blacks was back in 2007 before he made the move to Europe to play his club rugby in Ireland. 

One of only two players to have won major club competitions in both Hemispheres, he has remained at the very top of the game and can’t wait to challenge himself at international level once again.

“It’s a great privilege to get invited to play for the Barbarians and I can’t wait to link up with the squad and to face Wales again,” he added.

“It’s a huge thrill to be playing with the calibre of guys in the squad and a great chance for me to return to such a great place as the Millennium Stadium.

“I played for the Baa Baas a couple of years ago when we beat England and I have fond memories of that team and again they have put together a class squad of players together for this year.”

Partners and Suppliers

Principal Partners
Principality
Official Broadcast Partners
BBC Cymru/Wales
S4C
Official Partners
Heineken
Isuzu
Guinness