Jump to main content

North targets Barbarians victory

North targets Barbarians victory

Wales wing George North believes a victory against the Barbarians in Cardiff this weekend would be the perfect start to Wales’ World Cup preparations and would boost the squad ahead of their summer training camp.

Share this page:

The Scarlets youngster stormed onto the international scene last autumn, scoring two tries on his debut against World Champions South Africa.

A shoulder injury ruled him out of all but the last game of this season’s Six Nations but North is looking to build on his test experience and is looking forward to a tough battle at the Millennium Stadium this weekend.

“I expect it will be a very fast game but they will bring a lot of skill and physicality,” he said

“It’s a very important game. We need to carry confidence into our summer training camp and Tests so to pick up a win would be a good boost and we want to claim that win.

“I have had to pinch myself a few times this season.

“Scoring two tries on my debut was unbelievable and it’s an honour to be involved with the national side but I know that I have to keep working hard on my game. There is more to come from me and I have been doing a lot of work with (former Wales wing) Mark Jones at the Scarlets, looking at areas of my game that I can improve on in attack, in defence and under the high ball.”

“It was a very frustrating time (when injured).

“When I got my chance I wanted to stay there, but it proved to be a big learning curve for me, and it was one that I needed. My body was not ready for that volume of rugby, but I feel I am now coping well with it.”

Partners and Suppliers

Principal Partners
Principality
Official Broadcast Partners
BBC Cymru/Wales
S4C
Official Partners
Heineken
Isuzu
Guinness