Jump to main content

Cook named Cardiff’s youngest captain

Cook named Cardiff’s youngest captain

Macauley Cook has been named as captain of Cardiff for the 2011/12 season and becomes the youngest captain in the history of the Blue & Blacks.

Share this page:

‘Captain Cook’ was in charge for his first game last Friday against Bedford and takes over from last season’s captain Grant Harrington.

Being the youngest ever skipper will though pose no fears for the second row who will be 20 in December. Cook was the captain of Wales’ Under 20s during last season’s Six Nations tournament and has also captained the Cardiff Blues age levels. He is currently at the successful Blues Academy and has Wales caps at under 16 and Under 18 levels so is no stranger to performing on the big stage.

Born in Church Village, Macauley is one of the youngest members of the squad, but at 6’ 5” he is closest to being the tallest and appeared regularly in Blue & Black at the end of last season.

‘It is a massive honour to be asked to captain a club with so much history. It is such a special club and I am happy to be leading such a great squad that has a blend of experience and some fantastic new talent’ said Cook speaking about his appointment.

‘There is a good balance in the squad and we will looking to make a real push and do something special this season. For me I will be looking to repay the trust people have shown in me and not let anyone down.

“I am lucky I have had experience of being a captain in big matches with lots of media pressure, but I will helped by the senior members of this season’s team and will be able to learn from them. Players Shelly (Rhys Shellard) Ben (Phillips) Shaun (Powell) and Trevvy (Nathan Trevett) will no doubt be there if I need them’

Partners and Suppliers

Principal Partners
Principality
Official Broadcast Partners
BBC Cymru/Wales
S4C
Official Partners
Heineken
Isuzu
Guinness