Jump to main content

September: Harry Robinson

September: Harry Robinson

Cardiff wing Harry Robinson has been named as this season’s first winner of the Principality Premiership Player of the Month award.

Share this page:

Robinson, who is in his second season of the Principality Premiership, has already made an impact this campaign, scoring three tries in four games. The 18-year-old speedster was nominated by Principality Premiership coaches and WRU elite performance staff and presented with a cheque by customer services advisor Clare Boland at the St. David’s 2 Principality Building Society branch in Cardiff.

Robinson, a product of the Blues Academy who scored eight tries for the Blues Under 18s last season, is on track for a promising career according to Cardiff coach Richard Hodges.

“To win an award like this at 18 is pretty special,” he said. “Harry has had a cracking first month and, although he is different to other wingers in that he hasn’t got a huge frame, he makes up for that with what he does with his feet – he is a one-off in terms of the way he plays the game at the minute.

“He had his best games against Tonmawr and Bedwas when he scored three tries and was by far the best player on the pitch.

“The whole ethos at Cardiff has changed and we are all about being a feeder for the Blues and Harry epitomises what the club is about. Harry played for the Blues region before he played premiership rugby and he’s now establishing himself in the Principality Premiership. He played for the Under 20s two years young which is practically unheard of and he has a bright future ahead of him.”

A humble Robinson was delighted with his award, declaring: “I’m very happy to be the Principality Premiership Player of the Month but I’m also quite surprised, as some of the other boys have been playing really well this month, like Owen Williams and Jordan Williams from the Scarlets.

“I had a couple of games for Cardiff at the end of last season so this is now my second season and I’m getting used to it and really enjoying it.”

On scoring tries for Cardiff, Robinson is quick to share the praise, adding: “Ellis Jenkins has been doing a lot of the work for me, I’m always on his shoulder. He usually makes the breaks and I usually finish them off, which is quite handy.”

Robinson, who trains with the Blues in the week, believes the environment has helped his performances in the Principality Premiership.

“I’ve had a couple of games for the Blues, which I find really good, and there is a large group of us who have come up to the senior environment. I think there are about six or seven of us from last year’s Under 18s who have gone up and we’ve stuck close together, it’s been really good to play together with those boys.”

While Cardiff face Bridgend this weekend, Robinson will have to support his team-mates from the sidelines whilst he recovers from a knee injury.

“I did my MCL last weekend so I’m out for a couple of weeks but I’ll be supporting the boys this weekend and I think they are in with a good chance of winning.”

Harry Robinson Biog
Position:
Wing
DoB: 16/04/1993
PoB: Cardiff
Height: 178cm / 5’10’’
Weight: 82kg / 12st 13lbs
Cardiff debut: v Llandovery (02/04/2011)
First try for Cardiff: v Newport (09/04/2011)
Honours: Wales U16/U18 and U20

Partners and Suppliers

Principal Partners
Principality
Official Broadcast Partners
BBC Cymru/Wales
S4C
Official Partners
Heineken
Isuzu
Guinness