Jump to main content

Inspirational coaching story

Inspirational coaching story

If coaching qualifications were given for enthusiasm, Paul Jones would go all the way to the top.

Share this page:

The 44-year-old, former Bedwas stalwart, suffered a dislocated ankle playing for the Gwent club and has since moved into the world of coaching with Oakdale. 

After progressing from the Bedwas youth sides to the full senior side, Jones was forced to retire at the age of 27.

Although he impressed in Taekwondo following his retirement, Jones’ heart was always in rugby and he has now completed his tag level one course with WRU Coach Development Officer for the Dragons region, Nigel Way.

“I thought it was absolutely brilliant. I’d recommend everybody to do it,” said Jones.

“If you are on the sidelines watching there are no excuses to not be involved and start coaching.”

In 2012, Oakdale started a minis rugby side and Jones quickly volunteered to help run the team. There are now a total of 47 juniors taking part at the club at under 7, under 8 and under 9 level and with Jones having the intention to start an under 10 side next season, the future looks bright at the club.

“As long as the boys are happy and enjoying their rugby that’s the most important thing,” Jones added.

“We are about playing the game. Skill levels are vital and winning is encouraged but having fun is the most important thing for us.”

After completing the level one course, Jones now feels inspired to get other coaches involved in the game.

“I feel the course adds confidence and gives you the tools to make the session fun and enjoyable for the players, coaches and even the mums and dads,” said Jones.

“This gives off a positive buzz for the mini rugby section and pulls more young players into rugby from other sports.

“Hopefully my passion for rugby will inspire boys to fall in love with rugby and enjoy it to whatever level they achieve or what role they play in the sport.

Jones’ ambitions to stay in coaching and perhaps take up a referee’s course are an inspiration to coaches across the country.

It will benefit the game throughout Wales if others follow his lead.

For more information on coaching in Wales go to http://www.wrucoachinglocker.co.uk/. 

Partners and Suppliers

Principal Partners
Principality
Official Broadcast Partners
BBC Cymru/Wales
S4C
Official Partners
Heineken
Isuzu
Guinness