Jump to main content

Neath & Bedwas search for victory

Neath & Bedwas search for victory

Neath take on Bedwas at The Gnoll on Saturday with both sides looking for their first Principality Premiership win of the season.

Share this page:

The Welsh All Blacks have named a 27-man squad for the encounter with Ceri Young, Nicky Downs and Jonny Griffiths all returning. Canadian international scrum-half Phil Mack, who recently signed with the Ospreys, is an interesting inclusion at Premiership level.

Neath coach Neil Edwards said: “Obviously after losing to Llanelli and Swansea we very much need to win and Saturday would be a good place to start.

“But we are very mindful that Bedwas are always one of the most combative teams in the Premiership. Their coach Steve Law has been involved in each of the 11 seasons of the Premiership and there isn’t much he doesn’t know about this league. It certainly won’t be easy and we know it will take a big performance from every single one of us.

“It is good to have players of like Phil linking with us from the Ospreys.”

Bedwas failed to fire against Cardiff last weekend, three Andy Humberstone penalties all they could manage in a disappointing performance. Now, head coach Law is demanding a response.

“I am looking for a reaction from the players,” he said.

“We’ve looked back at the DVD of last week’s game and I’ve emphasised my disappointment to the squad. Simply put, it’s a must win game for us. I hope the lessons have been learnt and we can celebrate a win on Saturday evening.”

Law makes several changes to the side which played Cardiff. Steve Cullen and Dan Dearden start at right wing and outside centre respectively while Lewis Hudd returns on the left wing. Richard Powell and Luc Jones, the son of Neath favourite Lyn, link up in a new look half back combination.

Up front, the evergreen Deri Mattravers and James Benjamin make their first starts of the season in the back row alongside Simon Grainger who retains the captain’s armband. James Thomas and Phil Rees pair up in the boiler house behind a changed front row which sees only Joe Mills retain his starting berth. Richard Wilkes and Ian George come in for Elliot Dee and Aaron Coundley.

Neath squad: Gareth Bateman, Jordan Collier, Shaun Crocker, Garyn Daniel, Bowdy Davies, Chris Davies, Josh Davies, Ashleigh Evans, Dale Ford, James Goode, Jonny Griffiths, Alec Jenkins, Ceri Jones, Jack Jones, Marc Jones, Rhys Jones, Roy Jones, David Langdon, John Leyshon, Phil Mack, Kieran Mattocks, Aled Roberts, Jason Smith, Steffan Stone, Kyle Tayler, Leon Ward, Ceri Young.

Bedwas: 15 Stuart Thomas 14 Steve Cullen 13 Dan Dearden 12 Scott Williams 11 Lewis Hudd 10 Richard Powell 9 Luc Jones, 1 Ian George 2 Richard Wilkes 3 Joe Mills 4 Phill Rees 5 James Thomas 6 Simon Grainger 7 James Benjamin 8 Deri Mattravers.
Replacements: Matthew Phelps, Aaron Coundley, Rhys Hutcherson, Dan Crimmins, James Sawyer, Rhys Downes, Harley Thomson, Elliot Jones. 

LISTEN TO THE PREMIERSHIP PODCAST HERE

Partners and Suppliers

Principal Partners
Principality
Official Broadcast Partners
BBC Cymru/Wales
S4C
Official Partners
Heineken
Isuzu
Guinness