Jump to main content

Lions has no bearing says Sam

Lions has no bearing says Sam

Sam Warburton says the successful British & Irish Lions tour to Australia won’t have any bearing on this weekend’s game between Wales and the Wallabies.

Share this page:

The two sides met four times in 2012 with Australia victorious on each occasion. But when the Lions headed Down Under earlier this summer, on a tour which featured 15 Welsh players and numerous back room staff, the result was different.

With Wales head coach Warren Gatland in charge and Warburton captain, the Lions earned a 2-1 series win but the Cardiff Blues flanker reckons that victory won’t influence this Saturday’s encounter.

“The Lions hasn’t been spoken about once. It’s a completely new group and for me, the Lions has no bearing on the match on Saturday,” said Warburton.

“It’s a different team and a different challenge. When the Lions played Australia, they were probably the favourites going into the Test series but Wales will be underdogs on Saturday due to our previous record.

“There’s a great feeling in training, the players are feeling confident and if we finish this series with three wins out of four, we can consider it a success.”

For the Dove Men Series finale, Wales have recalled Dan Biggar, Alex Cuthbert, Richard Hibbard and Alun Wyn Jones amongst others, in a side boasting a mix of youth and experience. Warburton is expecting a physical battle with the likes of Ben Mowen on Saturday as Wales eye a southern hemisphere scalp and their first win over the Wallabies since 2008.

“Australia are very good at the breakdown and I’ve always found it a physical battle against them,” said Warburton.

“In the long term, everyone is looking at the World Cup and you can’t be considered a contender until you beat southern hemisphere sides. We’re desperately trying to achieve that this weekend.

“Australia are going to be one of the toughest sides you can play as a professional but we’re confident we can get a win.”

For Saturday’s encounter, Australia have named a side with plenty of experience themselves. Quade Cooper is set to win his 50th cap while Nick Cummins and Adam Ashley-Cooper both return to the side.

On the challenge of facing Australia, Wales coach Rob Howley said: “If you look at their side, they’re very experienced. Their scrum is mightily improved as you would expect under Ewen McKenzie and they’ve been able to play off it.

“Their back three is very exciting. We can’t give them time on the ball and in Israel Folau, they have an exceptional athlete.

“I think it will be an open Test match and both sides will want to play rugby.

“Australia probably didn’t start off too well against England but they were mightily impressive against Ireland. I thought their set piece, their foundation at scrum and line-out, was a base to play-off and that’s going to be vital this weekend.” 

Watch the video from today’s press conference here.

Partners and Suppliers

Principal Partners
Principality
Official Broadcast Partners
BBC Cymru/Wales
S4C
Official Partners
Heineken
Isuzu
Guinness