Jump to main content

Women’s Regional preview

Women’s Regional preview

Cardiff Blues and the Ospreys will be looking to continue from where they finished off last Sunday when the WRU Women’s Regional Championship continues at Llandarcy this weekend.

Share this page:

The Blues got their campaign off to a flying start with a comfortable 27-15 victory over the Dragons while defending champions Ospreys squeaked home 13-12 against the Scarlets.

This Sunday the early kick-off (1pm) sees the Dragons tackle the Ospreys while in the later game (3pm) the Scarlets take on the Blues.

The Blues have suffered a double injury blow with Welsh internationals Jenny Davies (knee) and Catrina Nicholas (concussion) unavailable but Blues head coach Nadine Griffiths is remaining upbeat.

“We are looking forward to building on last week’s win,” she said. “But with four of our international players out for this game it will be a hard task but I’m confident we have enough talent in the squad to put out a good performance.

“It is great to see international Nia Elen back from injury and available for selection for this game.”

Scarlets head coach Daryl Morgan is expecting his side to bounce back from last week’s narrow defeat to the Ospreys.

“There’ll be a lot of emphasis on the team’s discipline this week as the three yellow cards last weekend ultimately cost us the game,” he said.

“Despite those cards the girls showed fantastic attitude and commitment to come back and only lose by a single point. We’re looking to play a more structured game this week against what I expect to be an exceptionally strong Blues team. If the girls play to their potential and maintain their discipline I believe the game will be an outstanding spectacle which could go either way.”

The Ospreys may be firm favourites for their clash against the Dragons but the Dragons Director of Rugby, Gwesyn Price-Jones says his side are prepared to tackle the challenge head on.

“We’re looking to build on last week’s performance. Hopefully some returning internationals will boost the squad for this weekend. It’s been pleasing to see players putting their hands up in training to give us some selection headaches.”

Partners and Suppliers

Principal Partners
Principality
Official Broadcast Partners
BBC Cymru/Wales
S4C
Official Partners
Heineken
Isuzu
Guinness