Jump to main content

Byrne handed captain’s arm-band

Byrne handed captain’s arm-band

Former Wales and British & Irish Lions full back Lee Byrne has been handed the captaincy of Newport Gwent Dragons following his return to Welsh regional rugby after three years in France.

Share this page:

The 34-year-old Byrne has already played for the Scarlets and the Ospreys and will be appearing for his third region this season having left ASM Clermont Auvergne to return home.

“It’s probably one of the best pieces of news that I have ever had. Throughout my rugby career I have had both highs and lows, and this for me is right up there in the highs,” said Byrne..

“Becoming captain of the Dragons will be a massive challenge for me, but now it’s time for us to make sure that we deliver as a team. We have been given the best of everything this season, including the squad, coaches and the new training facility.

“I want to lead by example and I hope that the youngsters can learn from my attitude and the experience that I have gained through my international career and through playing in France.”

Byrne is one of a number of high profile recruits who have arrived at Rodney Parade this summer and he takes over the captaincy from fellow Welsh international Andrew Coombs.

“Lee’s ability as a player is outstanding; he has great leadership skills and has a lot of experience behind him,” said Dragons director of rugby Lyn Jones.

“Andrew Coombs captained the side very well last season, but I feel that this is a season that I need apply change throughout which will also allow Andrew to focus on his international career.”

Partners and Suppliers

Principal Partners
Principality
Official Broadcast Partners
BBC Cymru/Wales
S4C
Official Partners
Heineken
Isuzu
Guinness