Jump to main content

Nigel Owens goes back to school to inspire future referees

Nigel Owens goes back to school to inspire future referees

Rugby World Cup Final referee Nigel Owens went back to his roots today by taking charge of a Level One refereeing course for school and college students.

Share this page:

Along with the WRU’s Community Development Officer Paul Adams and the Union’s two other professional referees Ben Whitehouse and Craig Evans, Owens helped more than 60 pupils aged 16-18 complete the course at the National Centre of Excellence.

The course is open to pupils who attend one of the 80 schools or colleges throughout Wales who are part of the WRU’s School Club Hub initiative which means they employ a full-time rugby officer and deliver increased rugby playing opportunities for boys and girls throughout the school. The scheme also develops leadership qualities, by using senior pupils to help coach, and now referee younger year groups.

Nigel Owens said, “I started refereeing as a 16 year old so I would encourage anyone who feels he or she has gone as far as they can as a player, or whose progress has perhaps been hampered by injury, to give refereeing a go. It’s not easy, but for those who enjoy it, it’s a very rewarding path to take.”

WRU referees manager Nigel Whitehouse said, “With a huge increase in the number of school matches following the launch of the School Club Hub programme last year, there is now significantly greater demand for referees for extra-curricular matches at school level.

“Part of the strategy of holding these courses is also to develop young referees for the game in general and we are determined to use Nigel Owens’ terrific profile following the Rugby World Cup as part of a proactive recruitment campaign.

“Today’s course was for School Club Hub pupils in the Blues area but following huge demand, we will run courses for hub pupils around Wales over the next couple of months.

“Students will be able to assist their school club hub officers in officiating school matches and we will track and support any youngsters who are keen to progress further up the refereeing ladder.”

Isla Lewis, a Treorchy Comprehensive year 12 pupil said, “I won’t be playing forever and refereeing is certainly something I’d like to get into. I’d like to start refereeing now so that when I’m older I’ll have some experience under my belt.

Morgan Cartwright of Mountain Ash Comprehensive added, “It’s been good to see the different styles of the professional referees and today has also helped me as a player by giving me a better insight into certain areas of the game such as the scrum and line-out.

“I’ve helped referee before but I will take that further now by refereeing school and club matches.”

Partners and Suppliers

Principal Partners
Principality
Official Broadcast Partners
BBC Cymru/Wales
S4C
Official Partners
Heineken
Isuzu
Guinness