Jump to main content

Davies eager to make an impression

Davies eager to make an impression

Uncapped Ethan Davies is relishing the chance to take on the best players in the world when Wales begin their HSBC World Rugby Sevens Series campaign in Dubai tomorrow.

Share this page:

Cross Keys product Davies joins Scarlets’ Jordan Williams and Ebbw Vale’s Luke Crocker as the three rookies in the squad but his rapid rise through the ranks this season gives the versatile back plenty of confidence going into tomorrow’s first game against England in Pool D.

“I’ve really enjoyed being out here in Dubai with the boys, it’s been a great experience, and now we’re all just looking forward to getting into action,” he said.

The Wales squad have been in camp for the past couple of weeks but have found playing on the fast, hard surfaces in Dubai over the past few days has given them an extra spring in their step.

“It’s a lot warmer out here and playing on the firmer surfaces is a little bit different to Pandy Park so hopefully there will be plenty of good running rugby on show over the next couple of days,” joked Davies.

A former Wales U20 representative, Davies only had his first taste of sevens earlier this year when he featured in the Wales squad for the Rugby Europe campaign. His performances in that series saw him promoted to the senior squad where he has slotted in seamlessly.

“I suppose things have happened pretty fast for me as I hadn’t even played sevens until this year. But I feel the Rugby Europe games prepared me for this and I’m just hoping to gain some experience here in Dubai and get some game time and keep on improving.

“The boys did well in Dubai last year, making the quarter-finals and we obviously have to set that as our target here but it won’t be easy as England are a top team and Australia and Kenya have both recently qualified for the Olympics but if we can put what we have been producing in training into action on game day, then I’m sure we can do ourselves proud.”

Wales 7s squad for Dubai/South Africa
Luke Treharne (Wales 7s) Captain
Sam Cross (Wales 7s) Vice Captain
Ben Roach (Wales 7s)
Lloyd Evans (Ospreys)
Owen Jenkins (Blues)
Luke Crocker (Ebbw Vale)
Nicky Griffiths (Wales 7s)
Angus O’Brien (Dragons)
Ethan Davies (Cross Keys)
Kristian Phillips (Ospreys)
Jordan Williams (Scarlets)