Jump to main content

Fans turning out in droves for festive derbies

Fans turning out in droves for festive derbies

Another bumper crowd is expected to pack into the BT Sport Cardiff Arms Park on New Year’s Day for Cardiff Blues’ festive derby clash with the Scarlets.

Share this page:

The West Walians will travel East to the capital, where over 10,000 regional rugby fans are expected to turn out for the second weekend of all-Welsh clashes. The Blues are urging fans to buy tickets well in advance of Friday’s kickoff, with only limited seating remaining in both stands.

The hosts will be hoping to continue their recent revival after their last-gasp 21-20 triumph at the Newport Gwent Dragons. But the Scarlets travel to Cardiff determined to put-right their home defeat to West Wales rivals Ospreys. Rhys Patchell will be heading to Parc y Scarlets from the Blues at the end of the season, and he is relishing the chance to perform in-front of a capacity crowd.

He said: “We’re thrilled with the result at Dragons. But there is no time to enjoy it, the work starts now for New Year’s Day. It will be a great game and hopefully more running rugby than at Rodney Parade. Hopefully we will get a great crowd in and it will be an awesome occasion because the regional derbies are special.

“The Scarlets will be gutted they lost last minute against the Ospreys so they will be looking to put it right. My job is to give everything I have every week for Cardiff Blues and as long as people can see I’m trying to do that I’m happy,” he said.

“The basics for rugby for me is not run, kick, pass – it’s every minute you’re on the pitch you give everything for the cause.

“I’m excited about the rest of the season at Cardiff Blues. Hopefully we have turned a corner these last few weeks with our performances and it’s an exciting time to be playing.”

Partners and Suppliers

Principal Partners
Principality
Official Broadcast Partners
BBC Cymru/Wales
S4C
Official Partners
Heineken
Isuzu
Guinness