Jump to main content

Moriarty looking to build on New Zealand experience

Moriarty looking to build on New Zealand experience

After three full 80-minute runs against the world champion All Blacks you might have thought young Welsh back row man Ross Moriarty would be looking for a break from southern hemisphere sides.

Share this page:

But not a bit of it! The Gloucester tyro can’t wait for the autumn series to come around for Wales to get the chance to get stuck into the Springboks and the Wallabies.

The 22-year-old flanker joined forces with skipper Sam Warburton and No 8 Taulupe Faletau in earning some rave reviews for their collective performances against the New Zealand back row trio in the test series. His strong carrying and high work-rate marked him out as one of the success stories of the tour.

Now he wants to go back to Kingsholm and work even harder to put pressure on Dan Lydiate for the Welsh No 6 jersey. That will all start in November when Wales meet Australia, Argentina, Japan and South Africa.

“We have got to look at ourselves and work on the things we didn’t do well in New Zealand. We will be looking forward to playing against southern hemisphere sides again in the autumn and putting into practice the lessons we have learned on the tour,” said Moriarty.

“They were three very tough tests. We knew it was never going to be easy playing against the back-to-back world champions in their own backyard, but we did some very good things. We need to get the little things right because it is those small individual errors that they capitalised on.”

While the All Blacks won all three Tests, Wales led to the 60 minute mark in Auckland, scored three tries in Wellington and led to the end of the first quarter in Dunedin. Moriarty extended his Welsh cap collection to nine during the series and should have many more appearances ahead of him.

“Individually I felt I did some good things, but the tour showed me what I have to work on. I have got to take a good look at myself and improve as a person and a player,” he admitted.

“It is a tough learning curve when you play against the best team in the world. You have to be on the money all the time in every game.

“I haven’t really thought any further ahead than my next game, which will be for Gloucester. I will reflect on this tour, take what I have learned back to my club and try to play well for them.

“The first two games were definitely a shock to the system after a long season with Gloucester. I think I will be better for it and I’m definitely match fit now.”

Partners and Suppliers

Principal Partners
Principality
Official Broadcast Partners
BBC Cymru/Wales
S4C
Official Partners
Heineken
Isuzu
Guinness