Jump to main content

November: Matt O’Brien

November: Matt O’Brien

Newport outside half Matt O’Brien has claimed the latest Principality Premiership Player of the Month award.

Share this page:

The Black and Ambers were unbeaten in the league in November, O’Brien’s performances helping them beat Neath and Swansea away and Llandovery and Carmarthen Quins at home, giving the Rodney Parade side a chance of competing for a spot in Tier One.

Head coach Craig Warlow firmly believes the side’s upturn in fortunes is closely linked to O’Brien hitting a purple patch.

Warlow said, “It’s fantastic news Matt has won this award. I’m pleased for him because his performances have been critical to our good form recently. His decision-making has improved and he has got the balance right between kicking and running. He’s always had the talent and now he has shown the right application too.

“The important thing for us is that we’ve put ourselves in a position where we can compete for a place in the top eight, that was key for us. It’s all to play for now with Cross Keys on Boxing Day a huge match followed by RGC 1404 at Rodney Parade on Bank Holiday Monday.”

O’Brien, whose younger, middle brother Angus plays for Cross Keys and is now featuring regularly for the Dragons, said, “We’ve started to put a strong run of games together after a slow start to the season. Where we were losing games at the start of the season, we’ve managed to turn them into narrow wins. Our aim now is to keep working hard, the next three games are vital to try and get into the top eight, you never know what might happen.”

O’Brien senior has nothing but admiration for his younger brother who is making a name for himself in the game, and while, with three outside halves in the family (Loui is the other), there is no shortage of rugby talk around the dinner table, Matt isn’t prepared to compete with his sibling for the Dragons No 10 jersey.

“He’s doing really well. Although I’d like to test myself at regional level, I don’t want to steal his jersey, he’s worked hard for that.”

Laura Palmer, senior branch manager at Principality Building Society in Newport, said: “Congratulations to Matt for winning the player of the month award. He has already scored more points this season than he ever has before at this level, which clearly emphasises how well he has been performing. Good luck to him and Newport for the rest of the season.”

Matt O’Brien factfile:
Position: outside half
Club: Newport
Born: 30.5.92, Newport
Most admired rugby player: Quade Cooper
Biggest influence in career: School PE teachers
School: Caerleon Comprehensive
Nickname: Andy Goode

Partners and Suppliers

Principal Partners
Principality
Official Broadcast Partners