Jump to main content

December: Ed Howley

December: Ed Howley

Neath full back Ed Howley has picked up the latest Principality Premiership Player of the Month award.

Share this page:

The 22 year-old has made an impact at the Gnoll after joining from Maesteg via a short spell at Newport.

Neath head coach Gareth Llewellyn said, “Ed is becoming a potent counter-attacking full back, especially now that he’s settled in at the club. He’s very dangerous with the ball in hand and his performances have been recognised with selection in the Ospreys Premiership Select XV in the British & Irish Cup. With a number of clubs chasing his services, we’re pleased he’s re-signed with us and I’m sure he will continue to improve and hopefully get some more British & Irish Cup game time.”

Pontyclu product Howley added, “There’s a really good coaching and playing set-up at Neath and I feel I’ve gelled within the squad. I’ve benefitted from playing in the British & Irish Cup too. I’d love to become a professional player but if not, I just want to go as far as I can within the game.”

Llewellyn added, “We are disappointed not to make it into Tier 1 as we had ambitions that we haven’t realised but we have a long term plan and we’re clearly not going to turn everything around in one season. We will keep working hard and aim to do as well as we can for the rest of the season.”

James Schell, Customer Consultant at Principality Building Society in Neath, said: “Big congratulations to Ed for winning the player of the month award for December. The competition within the Principality Premiership has been fierce so far this season and his performances on the pitch have been superb. Good luck to Ed and the team for the remainder of the Principality Premiership.”

Ed Howley factfile:
Club: Neath
Position: Full back
Born: 22.1.95, Bridgend
School: Llantwit Major School
First club: Pontyclun juniors and youth, Maesteg first senior club
Biggest influence on career: Gareth Nicholas, coach at Bridgend College
Most admired player: Dan Carter

Partners and Suppliers

Principal Partners
Principality
Official Broadcast Partners