Jump to main content

Welsh refs set for busy summer

Welsh refs set for busy summer

With the domestic season coming to a close further travels await three of Wales’ elite referees who have been selected by World Rugby for the June window internationals.

Share this page:

Nigel Owens travels to South America to referee Argentina and England, Ben Whitehouse journeys to North America where he will take charge of the 2019 RWC qualifier between arch rivals Canada and the USA while Dan Jones is one of nine referees  selected for the 2017 World Rugby Under 20 Championship in Georgia. In addition, Jon Mason will accompany Jones as one of the three TMOs.

WRU National Match Officials Manager, Nigel Whitehouse, said of the appointments, “It is great to see our leading referees being selected for important fixtures during the June window.

“The selections are richly deserved and are especially pleasing for both Jones and Whitehouse who have come through our academy system and are now establishing themselves at the elite end.

“Coupled with these selections are that of Craig Evans and Adam Jones who are both currently on the World 7s series circuit.”

Owens, who continues to be acclaimed as one of the best referees in the world, is delighted to see the next generation of Welsh referees getting an opportunity at the highest level.

“There’s been a great tradition in Welsh rugby of great referees over the years. Not many countries can say they have had two World Cup final referees [Derek Bevan in 1991] and myself in 2015. We’ve always had good, young referees coming through, especially over the last few years.

“Dan, Ben and Craig (currently involved in the HSBC Sevens World Rugby) all came through the academy structure at the same time and now there is a young group coming through behind them again.

Ben Whitehouse is looking forward to his fixture on 24 June and paid tribute to Owens who has assisted his development.

“It’s a good Test match for me to pick up – it’s a nice way to start my career at international level.

“Nigel to be fair has helped me since I was about 18 or 19 years old in relation to my career as a rugby referee. We tend to argue a little bit more now than when I first started but if I ever need advice, Nigel is one of the few who I would definitely look to.”

Jones is eagerly looking ahead to his involvement in the 2017 World Rugby Under 20 Championship which kicks off on May 31.

“There are four ex-professional rugby players there, so they are going to know the game inside and out, so you can learn from not only the game of rugby perspective, but also the refereeing perspective,” he said.

“Alain Rolland is leading the team as well so I hope to learn from every single game I do so I’m very much looking forward to it and hoping to build on what I’ve already done this season.”

Nigel Whitehouse concluded; “These guys are now operating basically 12 months of the year in a demanding and testing environment and they are all to be applauded for their hard work and professionalism.”

Of Owens, Whitehouse, added: “Nigel continues to extend his record haul of international caps and continues to referee at the highest level.

“Recently he notched up his 150th PRO 12 match when he took charge of the Dragons v Scarlets clash at Judgement Day V, which is a huge milestone in itself. Both I and the WRU wish all the officials the very best in the challenges ahead over the summer months.”

Partners and Suppliers

Principal Partners
Principality
Official Broadcast Partners
BBC Cymru/Wales
S4C
Official Partners
Heineken
Isuzu
Guinness