Jump to main content

A week in the life of… Ben Whitehouse

A week in the life of… Ben Whitehouse

Wales referee Ben Whitehouse travelled to Ontario to officiate the first of two legs between Canada and USA as the arch rivals sought to get the upper hand in their race to reach the World Cup in Japan.

Share this page:

Below is Ben’s diary of the week leading up to the vital clash where we learn what preparation is involved before he even gets to referee the game

Monday After a day of travelling from Edmonton to Hamilton, recovery was the order of the day. We jumped into the pool inside the hotel, the three of us did a bit of swimming and other pool exercises. We followed this with recovery massage which was much needed.
Monday was a bit of a slow day, we took a look around Hamilton, which admittedly was not that exciting on a Monday afternoon. The referee from last Saturday’s game, Shuhei Kubo, was looking through the previous game and conducting his in-depth review of proceedings.
We ended up getting some food and then headed to bed. Terrible to admit it, but Love Island on the iPad was the programme of choice in bed.

Tuesday Started the day with a tough leg training session. We undertook a lower body power endurance weights session coupled in with a blow out on the Watt bikes in the gym. A great way to start the day! We then got together as a team of three and had a little chat about last Saturday’s game, where we could have improved, what we did well etc. Very productive conversation. This was the day that I started to focus in on the upcoming game. We took a look at scrums, lineouts and had general discussions about styles of play.

Niagara

Wednesday We had arranged to use a local field at a university in Hamilton, and what a great facility! There was a huge football stadium, as big as any pro side’s venue back in Wales.  However we were shoved onto a training field, which was out the back. None the less, we had a real tough speed endurance session, this woke the legs up and got the lungs working again. We try to build our weeks up when we train at home so that our hardest sessions are around Tuesday, Wednesday and Thursday and we can then taper off towards the game day. We mimic this as best as we can when on tour, to keep up with fitness requirements during games. 
We then headed up to Niagara Falls (pictured above), a must see if in this part of the world. This was certainly a place that did not disappoint. Photographs do not do this any justice, it took my breath away. We did the touristy things then headed back to the hotel.   
Shu finished his review from the previous game, we discussed the final review and we would use that to better ourselves in the coming fixtures. This is very important that we do this as a team and not individually. We all needed to be aware of our shortcomings.

Thursday Again started the day with training.  Today was a session comprising of circuit type training, 45 mins, mixing running with weights. We kept work rate high but nothing too heavy. Good sweat was the key here and again triggering the lungs into action.
Had a good look at the past few games of USA. They had played Ireland and Georgia. We used our online analysis system we have in place, this way we can dial into just scrums, lineouts, breakdown etc, without having to search through the games looking for them individually. Took some notes on these areas and started preparing for our team meeting before the game.
In the afternoon we had a round of golf.  This is a big part of the week for me as it is impossible to focus on solely rugby for 24 hours a day seven days a week, you would go insane. Playing a bit of golf or having something else to focus on really does wonders. Sad to say I lost to Andy Brace of Ireland, dinner was on me!!!

Ben World CupFriday Day off training as it’s the day before the game. We wanted to be in peak condition ready to go into the fixture.  I again took some of the morning preparing for the game. Finishing off, looking at the previous games, writing notes and preparing for the game.  I always try to find a balance between being prepared for the game but NOT going into the game with pre-conceived ideas as this can be equally as dangerous as not being prepared. As the great Derek Bevan once told me when coming up through the ranks “Expect the best but prepare for the worst”.  This saying will never leave me.
Some down-time in the afternoon so again took some time to go around the town doing a bit of sight-seeing and shopping. There were lots of U2 fans in and around the area, we were very jealous as I would love to have gone, sadly our focus was on the game the next day.
We then went to the ground to meet both teams, speak to coaches and then familiarise ourselves with the facilities.  Coaches got some questions out the way, how am I going to referee certain aspects etc.

Saturday Sadly woke up to the news that the British and Irish Lions had lost. I watched the highlights before breakfast. We met for breakfast outside the hotel and after it we had our meeting as a team of four.  We talked with the ARs and TMO about what I had been through in the games during the week. Also chatted about how I like to work during the game. We had been talking about all of this over food and breakfast throughout the week but this was a more formal structured chat to reaffirm everything. I had never worked with Chris Pollock before so this formed a big part of the chat. Process between ref and TMO must be seamless and professional. It’s key this pre-match chat takes place so that we are on the same page, this way he knows what I expect on field.
We then conducted a primer session in the gym. We did some stretching and movements to make us feel a bit looser, ready for the game. We also did some small catching with a ball to sharpen us up. I feel this helps and I enjoy doing it, you loosen up without thinking about doing any work.
1315 hrs we left for the game and got to the ground for 1330 hrs – 1.5 hours before kick-off. Chats with both teams in the changing rooms and coin toss all completed before 1400 hrs and then it was down to business.

The game went well, it ended 28-28.  It had some physical big hits, some great tries and even a missed 80 minute penalty kick at goal which could have won the game.

FOOTNOTE: The following week, the Eagles claimed a record 52-16 victory at Torero Stadium in San Diego to secure a Pool C spot in Japan as Americas 1 alongside England, France, Argentina and Oceania 2. Meanwhile, Canada now face Uruguay home and away for the Americas 2 qualification place.

Partners and Suppliers

Principal Partners
Principality
Official Broadcast Partners
BBC Cymru/Wales
S4C
Official Partners
Heineken
Isuzu
Guinness