Jump to main content

Captain Cory commits to Dragons

Captain Cory commits to Dragons

Wales lock and Dragons captain Cory Hill has signed a new two-year deal to commit his future to Bernard Jackman’s ambitious region until 2020.

Share this page:

Hill has played 85 times for the Dragons since joining in 2013, scoring 11 tries, and was made skipper of the Rodney Parade side following Jackman’s arrival as head coach.

The second row has 10 caps for Wales and made his international bow against Australia in the opening game of the 2016 Under Armour Series at Principality Stadium.

Last summer he was named vice captain of the Wales squad for their tour clashes with Tonga and Samoa and also played in all four matches of Warren Gatland’s side’s autumn Tests in Cardiff.

“I had no hesitation in agreeing a new contract with the Dragons. The ambition and direction of the team is something I am really excited about being a part of,” Hill said.

“Both Bernard and David Buttress (Dragons chairman) have shown their determination through the signing of new players and the resigning of many other youngsters.

“There’s definitely a lot to be excited about and I am chuffed to have extended my stay for another two years.

“The supporters are awesome and have stuck by us through a tough couple of years, so hopefully we will repay them over the next few seasons.”

Hill progressed through Wales’ age grade teams, playing for his country at both Under-16 and Under-18 level, before captaining the Wales Under-20 squad at the 2012 Junior World Cup.

The Pontypridd-born lock made his regional debut as an 18-year-old in 2010 with Cardiff Blues and a stint with Moseley followed in 2013 before he joined the Dragons.

Hill was also called up to the British & Irish Lions squad for their tour of New Zealand last summer, but didn’t feature on the field.

Dragons boss Jackman added: “Cory is a natural leader of men. Despite being only 25-years-old I had no hesitation in naming him our captain this season having seen his influence up close.

“He has broken through to being a regular in Welsh squads and he is a player we are proud to have representing the Dragons.”

Hill will join fellow Wales internationals and new signings Ross Moriarty, Richard Hibbard, Jordan Williams and Rhodri Williams at Rodney Parade next season.

Partners and Suppliers

Principal Partners
Principality
Official Broadcast Partners
BBC Cymru/Wales
S4C
Official Partners
Heineken
Isuzu
Guinness