Jump to main content

Lucky break for Benjamin

Lucky break for Benjamin

staff-settings

While Sam Cross gained all the headlines for his dramatic call-up to Warren Gatland’s Wales squad for the 2017 Under Armour autumn series – another sevens exponent has quietly gone about his business to establish himself as an integral part of the Dragons revolution.

Share this page:

Last season, James Benjamin made only one appearance for the Dragons (and that was as a late call-up as a replacement). He was, however, hampered with injury early in the season when he fractured his leg, but as it turns out, it proved to be a lucky break.

Joining the Wales Sevens programme proved a major part of his rehabilitation and under the stewardship of head coach Gareth Williams, Benjamin, who was a member of the Wales Under 20 squad that made it to the final of the 2013 Junior World Championship, travelled the world to play in six tournaments on the HSBC Sevens World Series.

“Last year he was very unlucky at the start of the season with a fracture to his leg and as part of his rehab he come in with us – he made use of what we could offer and he ended up playing six tournaments which bridged a gap for him in that period,” said Williams.

“It put him in a fantastic place for pre-season – and he’s grasped that opportunity with both hands.”

The Dragons are no strangers to picking up talent from the sevens programme with fly half Angus O’Brien and centre Adam Warren having played on the world series circuit as have Jared Rosser and Ben Roach, who played over the festive period.

“I’ve enjoyed playing sevens for Wales and whenever you get the chance to represent your country it’s a great honour,” said the 23-year-old Benjamin who signed a new three-year contract last month with the region.

“I was fortunate to get an opportunity with Wales Sevens and thoroughly enjoyed it and now I’m enjoying my rugby with the Dragons,” he added.

Jackman has been impressed with Benjamin’s efforts this season and believes the sevens programme has played a major part in his progression.

“Sevens is an outstanding tool in terms of developing players for the fifteens game,” he said. “Maybe physically they are not ready for XVs at regional level but if they can get a year or two on the sevens circuit and continue to develop physically mentally and in terms of skill, people see that as a pathway.

“I think James Benjamin has been outstanding – he was on the sevens circuit last year and didn’t play much fifteens but it kept him in the system and now we’re benefitting from that as he’s played 14 out of 16 games this season. I think it is brilliant that he is now playing an important role at the Dragons.”

CLICK HERE to view video of James Benjamin

Partners and Suppliers

Principal Partners
Principality
Official Broadcast Partners
BBC Cymru/Wales
S4C
Official Partners
Heineken
Isuzu
Guinness