Jump to main content

Premiership preview: Pontypridd and RGC ready for battle

Premiership preview: Pontypridd and RGC ready for battle

RGC 1404 travel to Pontypridd on Saturday hoping to build on their impressive Easter form and put pressure on Principality Premiership leaders Merthyr.

Share this page:

The North Walians are currently nine points off the top but have a game in hand over the Ironmen ahead of their trip to Sardis Road.

Both sides come into this game in fine fettle. Pontypridd picked up a 54-19 victory over Swansea on Friday while RGC recorded wins over Cross Keys and Cardiff over the Easter weekend.

RGC back-rower Tim Grey says he is relishing the busy period of matches.

He said: “As a player you just want to play rugby, so the games coming thick and fast is what it is all about at this time of the season.

“We knew what we needed to do against Cardiff in regards to our performance and attitude, especially after the Llanelli game and there is no easy match in the Principality Premiership.

“Going to Sardis Road will be one of the toughest tests on the road, but the important thing is to focus on ourselves and make sure we turn up from kick-off.”

Further west, Swansea and Neath will battle it out in the traditional derby clash with both sides hoping to change their recent poor form.

Richard Lancaster’s Swansea outfit are without a win in seven games and fell to a last-minute 26-21 defeat at Newport on Tuesday.

Neath are yet to pick up a win in the second phase and prop up the table, seven points behind Bridgend above them.

The game follows the announcement that the Welsh All Blacks have signed prop Luke Garrett from Newport Dragons for next season.

Garrett won the PRO12 with Scarlets last season and follows fellow Dragons forward, Scott Andrews, at Neath.

Commenting on his move west, Garrett said: “I’m really excited to be joining Neath. I’m enjoying my rugby and linking up once again with my former head coach Lyn Jones is a great opportunity.

“I still think I’m young for a prop at 23 so I’d like to get back into professional rugby. Lyn is such an infectious character and motivator I know he’ll get the best out of me.

“I’d like to thank the Dragons for the last five years which have been a great experience and where I’ve made some brilliant friends, but I’m looking forward to this new challenge and new chapter with Neath.”

Elsewhere in the Premiership, Cardiff and Carmarthen Quins will be hoping for victories this Saturday to keep their title chances alive.

Cardiff in fourth are 12 points adrift and will be itching to bounce back from their humbling defeat at the hands of RGC last week with a victory away to Bedwas.

Quins currently occupy second position and are eight points away from Merthyr. A win away to Bridgend will close the gap and keep up the pressure on Dale McIntosh’s Ironmen.

PRINCIPALITY PREMIERSHIP FIXTURES – APRIL 7

Bedwas v Cardiff Rugby (2.30pm)
Bridgend v Carmarthen Quins (2.30pm)
Pontypridd v RGC 1404 (2.30pm)
Swansea v Neath (2.30pm)

Partners and Suppliers

Principal Partners
Principality
Official Broadcast Partners
BBC Cymru/Wales
S4C
Official Partners