Jump to main content

Congreve saves his best for the big stage

Congreve saves his best for the big stage

Brynmawr’s hat-trick hero Joshua Congreve was on top of the world after helping his team to claim WRU National Plate success at the Principality Stadium.

Share this page:

Remarkably, both Congreve and Craig Filier starred with trebles as Brynmawr’s forward power saw them seal a deserved 50-29 success over Nant Conwy.

Daniel Wall and Thomas Ashmead also got their names on the scoreboard as Brynmawr sealed the first part of what could yet be an historic double.

“It was a real roller-coaster. We scored some nice tries, but fair play to Nant Conwy I thought they played some excellent attacking rugby,” said Congreve.

“We were 19-7 down and at that stage I was panicking a bit, but our forwards stepped up and gave us the platform to play from.

“Nant Conwy dropped off in their physicality and our pack got on top which made the difference. It’s a big pitch and that paid off for us in the end.”

Congreve produced two acrobatic finishes in his stunning treble as he marked his appearance at the home of Welsh rugby with a bang.

The young winger admitted it was the best feeling of his rugby career to date.

“The emotion hit me when I scored my first try and I’m not afraid to say I started crying. For my third try I copied the players from the NRL who dive into the corner and it worked like a dream,” he said.

“There was a bit of Greg Inglis in that one!

“I was confident I had scored, but I’m not used to having a TMO in the games I normally play so I wasn’t sure what would happen. Thankfully he decided the try was good.

“The boys make a few jokes at my expense and call me barrel because they say I’ve got a bit of a gut. I can’t kick the ball, so I try and run it from everywhere!”

Brynmawr have already sealed Plate success and look set to follow that by lifting the Division 1 East title with a handful of games remaining this season.

“I was sick five times on the morning of the final, but it was a huge honour to get to play at the stadium and I will never forget this moment,” Congreve said.

“It was so surreal to run out of the tunnel and it feels like I’ve pulled the Welsh jersey on to be honest. I can’t believe it and hopefully we can go on to win the league now too.”

Partners and Suppliers

Principal Partners
Principality
Official Broadcast Partners
BBC Cymru/Wales
S4C
Official Partners
Heineken
Isuzu
Guinness