Jump to main content

Shona appointed to drive female participation

Shona appointed to drive female participation

Wales international Shona Powell-Hughes wants to inspire a whole new generation of female rugby players in her new role as full-time WRU Game Changer for Women and Girls (South West Wales).

Share this page:

The 46-times capped backrower is set to put as much passion and drive into her off-field game as she does on the pitch.

She says rugby gave her a sense of belonging and a talent to be proud of and she wants to share the benefits of being involved in rugby – both on and off the field with as many other women and girls as possible.

“This is an amazing opportunity,” said the Ospreys and Wales No 8. “It’s such an exciting time for women and girls in Welsh rugby and I’m thrilled to have the opportunity to work with everyone in the game to take women’s rugby to the next level.

“Having been a player for such a long time, I can use that perspective to help grow playing numbers and opportunities but I’m also passionate about the other opportunities for women – from coaching and refereeing to a career in rugby through WRU apprenticeships and media roles.

“Rugby is very powerful, it can really break down barriers. Like many teenagers, I thought I knew best aged 13 or 14 and as a result I missed quite a lot of education. Rugby gave me a second chance at life and I want to use that experience to help others”

Shona believes the girls clusters established three summers ago have helped to give girls the confidence to take their place in Welsh rugby.

“When I started playing rugby as a young girl, I played in a mixed team because my brother played and my dad coached. Not everyone has that background and it’s not easy to get over some of the stereotypical attitudes towards female rugby.

“The girls’ clusters have empowered girls all over Wales – and the women involved in coaching and running teams – to just be themselves in a rugby environment without fear of being judged. Rugby really is for everyone and the girls involved in the clusters now can set the standard for the next generation.”

Shona is very much a role model within Welsh rugby but is determined to use that position to change lives for girls in Wales.

“We are all role models in different ways. Hopefully I can help girls to turn their dreams into realistic ambitions.

“Rugby kept me on the straight and narrow and hopefully I can help others in the same way. Rugby saved me in many ways. It gave me a sense of belonging, built my confidence, gave me something to be proud of. I found my identity through rugby and hopefully I can share and impart some of what rugby can do for people on and off the field.

“I’m really excited about working with an amazing team under Ryan Jones and Charlotte Wathan. While I know I’m going to learn so much in this new role, I’m also confident we are going to put women and girls’ rugby in Wales in a better place.”

Charlotte Wathan, Women and Girls’ Engagement Manager added, “The women and girls’ Game Changers have made a significant impact on the awareness of female participation in Welsh rugby since their appointment 18 months ago. They have energised and focused the rugby family to shine a light on the value of providing new, fit-for-purpose opportunities for women and girls, not only in playing rugby but in other roles too.

“As we move into the next phase of the women and girls’ rugby journey in Wales, having Shona Powell-Hughes, who has both a wealth of playing experience and with a passion for grassroots community engagement, will be invaluable to the development of female rugby – bringing a #JerseyForAll mentality to the female game.”

Partners and Suppliers

Principal Partners
Principality
Official Broadcast Partners
BBC Cymru/Wales
S4C
Official Partners
Heineken
Isuzu
Guinness