Jump to main content

RGC vow to entertain on eve of Premiership kick-off

Mark Jones

RGC 1404 head coach Mark Jones

RGC 1404 head coach Mark Jones has vowed his team will continue to entertain on the eve of the new Principality Premiership season.

Share this page:

The 2018-19 campaign will see the reintroduction of relegation from the division meaning there is plenty on the line for the 16 clubs in the division.

Colwyn Bay outfit RGC have more than held their own since being promoted from the Championship and Jones wants to continue that upward trend.

“We want to remain in the Premiership and a big part of my job is to make sure the players in north Wales are exposed to the best level of rugby below the regional game,” he said.

“I’ve played a certain style of rugby in my time at RGC and we want to continue to play that way.

“We feel it’s the right way to develop the players we’ve got and we won’t be changing anything based on the fact there is relegation.

“There’s a new A competition which has come in and at RGC we don’t have access to that, so we have to make sure we remain in the competition because that’s the route for players from north Wales to get to the professional game.”

RGC begin their Premiership season at home to Neath on Saturday afternoon.

This season one round of the division’s matches will be screened live on BBC Wales each weekend.

“I hope the league won’t change because there has been a lot of entertainment, there have been a lot of tries scores, and I hope teams won’t go away from that,” said Jones.

“With the TV coming in as well it’s a great chance to showcase the league. Hopefully it will be a good product and I’m confident the boys I’ve got are very committed to the team.

“They’ve worked hard in pre-season and given themselves the best possible chance to do well in the games. Once they got over the whitewash I’m sure the other teams will try to disturb us.

“I could still do with getting a couple of new players in to add to the squad. We’re a bit short in some areas. We can develop some new players and give them an opportunity and my job is to help them do that.”

Former Wales wing Jones was part of Warren Gatland’s international set-up from 2012-2013 and said: “I’ve got ambition and I want to coach at the highest possible level, just like the players I work with want to do. Hopefully that infectious ambition can help the both of us.

“I took the RGC job because I’d been an assistant coach for six or seven years. I was an assistant coach at international level, but I wanted to get a different perspective on things, work with other coaches, and take on some more pressure and realise what it’s like at the top.

“It’s been hugely beneficial and I’m a much better coach than when I started. The Premiership has made me a much better coach.”

Principality Premiership – round one fixtures (all kick-offs 2.30pm) 

Aberavon vs Swansea
Bargoed vs Llandovery
Bedwas vs Pontypridd
Cardiff Rugby vs Merthyr
Carmarthen Quins vs Newport
Cross Keys vs Bridgend
Llanelli vs Ebbw Vale
RGC 1404 vs Neath

Partners and Suppliers

Principal Partners
Principality
Official Broadcast Partners