Jump to main content

Cymoedd set to launch title defence at Arms Park

Cymoedd set to launch title defence at Arms Park

The Welsh Schools & Colleges League kicked off with a thriller on Friday night when Llandovery College pipped Whitchurch HS and reigning champions Coleg y Cymoedd start the defence of their title tonight (7.30pm live on S4C Facebook).

Share this page:

It is no easy start for the side that has featured in the past six finals, and won four of them, as they travel to face Ysgol Glantaf Cardiff Arms Park in the first televised match of the campaign. The two teams met in the semi-finals last season and the home side will have Wales U18 lock Teddy Williams back at the heart of their pack.

WATCH RYGBI PAWB PREVIEW

Coleg Sir Gar, last season’s runners-up, host Pembrokeshire College, while both Whitchurch and Llandovery are back in business. Whitchurch entertain Gwent College, while there is a second away trip in a row for Llandovery as they look to maintain their winning ways at Newport HS.

The former Bath, Cardiff Blues, Scarlets and Wales back row man Nathan Thomas has taken charge of rugby at his old alma mater following the retirement of Iestyn Thomas after 18 years as master in charge of rugby at one of the most famous rugby academies in the world.

Thomas went on to win nine Welsh caps and a Heineken Cup title with Bath after leaving Llandovery. In the past five years he has been back at the College helping out with the rugby and will have enjoyed getting off to a winning start at Whitchurch last week.

“I feel very honoured and privileged to take on this prestigious role. I had some fantastic experiences as a pupil at the school, especially through playing rugby, experiences which I believe laid the foundations for my future career and success playing the game,” said Thomas.

“I intend to continue providing these opportunities whilst also creating an environment where players can maximise their potential, playing a style of rugby that reflects the history and traditions of the college.

“It is an exciting time here at the school with the recent additions to the senior coaching team of Chay Billen and Jedd Evans who together bring a wealth of coaching and playing knowledge. Together as a team we will build on the reputation and high standards set by Iestyn Thomas, who has established the benchmark for quality coaching and rugby success at Llandovery.”

Welsh Schools & College League – Round 1
Friday, 14 September
Whitchurch HS 22 – 25 Llandovery College

Tuesday, 18 September
Ysgol Glantaf v Coleg y Cymoedd
Glantaf:  Theo Cabango; Tomi Owens, Mason Grady, Aled Evans, Rhys Thomas; Josh Phillips, Iwan Johnes; Cai Killen, Oscar O’Hare, Jake O’Shea, Cai Davies, Teddy Williams, Daniel Thomas, Ffin Barber (captain), Craig Miller
Reps: Dylan Barrat, Rhys McKenzie, Alfie Llewellyn, Sam Powell, Casey Davies, Iwan Burrows, Joe Attkinson, Josh Attkinson

Wednesday, 19 September
Cardiff & Vale College v Coleg Llandrillo
Coleg Sir Gar v Pembrokeshire College
Gower College v Neath Port Talbot College
Newport HS v Llandovery College
Whitchurch HS v Gwent College

Welsh Schools & Colleges League Roll of Honour
2010/11: Coleg Sir Gar 20, Coleg Gwent 19
2011/12: Coleg Sir Gar 16, Coleg Gwent 17
2012/13: Coleg Sir Gar 18, Coleg Morgannwg 16
2013/14: Coleg Y Cymoedd (formerly Morgannwg) 22, Coleg Sir Gar 25
2014/15: Coleg Y Cymoedd 13, Coleg Sir Gar 3