Jump to main content

Clearing the way for success 

Clearing the way for success 

Skip driver Joe Tomalin-Reeves has snapped up the first Principality Premiership Player of the Month award of the season and puts it down to a solid foundations during the off-season

Share this page:

The Aberavon backrow has earned plaudits for his workrate already this season helping the Wizards to a sold third place in the Principality Premiership.

He is putting the early season success down to good coaching and a good pre-season, led by fitness coach Howard Thomas.

“The work Howard did with us certainly gave us a good platform to kick off the season positively,” said the Aberavon Green Stars product.

“It was gruelling but it set the standard for the season and we all bought into it, we all work hard for each other and we are really well coached too.”

Aberavon won four of their five September matches, only losing 17-19 to unbeaten Ebbw Vale during the month.
“It’s been one of the hardest starts for us but we’ve had some good wins especially at Merthyr who are a great side again.

“It was frustrating to lose so narrowly at Ebbw Vale but we haven’t lost since then and it’s key for us to keep up this momentum so that we are in the top four at the half way stage which would put us in a good position to push on. Our aim is to win the league and also do well in the Cup too if we can. We have a tough month now with away games at Cross Keys and Bedwas then we have Cardiff at home.”

‘JTR’ insists his focus is firmly fixed on the Principality Premiership side.
“Personally I just want to keep playing for Aberavon and keeping my place in the starting side. I’m always ambitious but I love playing here and I’d love to win the league with this group of players and coaches.”      
Cerys Vickery, Principality’s Customer Consultant at the Port Talbot branch, said: “Well done to Joe and the team for a great start to the season. Many of our members who come into the branch support the Wizards so he has helped to put a smile on their faces every weekend.”

Joe Tomalin-Reeves Factfile 
Born: 15.12.93, Place Port Talbot 
Position: Openside, Flanker 
Occupation Skip driver for Darlow Lloyd and sons 
School: St Josephs, Port Talbot
Most admired player: Richie McCaw
Nickname: JTR 
First club: Aberavon Green Stars junior and youth  

Partners and Suppliers

Principal Partners
Principality
Official Broadcast Partners