Jump to main content

October: Phil Rees

October: Phil Rees

Merthyr No 8 Phil Rees has been awarded Principality Player of the Month for October.

Share this page:

Rees’ impressive, go-forward performances of late helped the champions win all their October games, the Ironmen currently comfortably at the top of the Principality Premiership.

A product of Merthyr mini and juniors before moving to Cefn Coed and Dowlais for Youth team rugby, Rees is in his fourth season back at The Wern after a three year stint with Bedwas.

He credits his recent upturn in form to Merthyr ‘chief’ Dale McIntosh.  

“I owe this award to Dale McIntosh. He allowed me to play in what I believe is my natural position in the back row. As a ball carrier I wanted to play No 8 and as soon as Dale joined Merthyr that’s where he put me. So he has been integral to my success, plus as a backrow himself he has helped me no end.

“It’s easier when you’re on the front foot and in a winning team, there are more opportunities to express yourself and we’ve got a great bunch of boys in the group all playing well.

“As a Merthyr boy, it’s brilliant for the town that the club is flying the flag at the top of Welsh club rugby, especially after almost being relegated from the Championship five or six years ago. It’s created a buzz around town and the new players have really bought into what we’re trying to do. We would love to do the double again this year. We are a third of the way through the season now, there’s a lot at stake and clubs like Carmarthen Quins and Llandovery will push us all the way.”

Liz Mahony, Senior Branch Manager at Principality Building Society, said: “Congratulations to Phil for winning the player of the month. My colleagues and I are very proud to see Merthyr top of the league and doing so well, as it means so much to many of our  Members who come into our branch. Good luck to Phil and the Ironmen for the rest of the season.”

Phil Rees factfle

Born: 20.10.88, Merthyr
Position: No 8
School:  Cyfarthfa High
First clubs: Merthyr minis and juniors, Dowlais and Cefn Coed Youth
Most admired player: Henry Tuilagi

Partners and Suppliers

Principal Partners
Principality
Official Broadcast Partners
BBC Cymru/Wales
S4C