Jump to main content

Hyatt chomping at the bit ahead of Premiership season

Hyatt chomping at the bit ahead of Premiership season

Aberavon head coach Jason Hyatt

Aberavon head coach Jason Hyatt is relishing the start of the new Indigo Group Premiership season and believes his side are well placed to challenge towards the top of the table.

Share this page:

The Wizards finished sixth last season but Hyatt is convinced they can scale greater heights this time around. “We’re really looking forward to this coming season,” said Hyatt.

“We’ve approached pre-season differently to how we have in the past such as giving the players nine weeks off. We just felt it was such a stressful season given four teams were going down last season.

“We finished sixth last season in the Premiership and if we’d been a bit more consistent we would have finished a lot higher. I’m really happy considering the amount of pressure for the players to get sixth spot and qualify for the new competition with the Scottish sides. Overall we were quite happy with that.

“There’s a great energy in camp and there’s a lot of hard work going on now with strength and conditioning. I think the players are in great shape and working hard towards the start of the season. We are confident we can do even better this season.”

With Neath, Cross Keys, Bedwas and Bargoed relegated last season this campaign will see a far simpler one up and one down scenario without a relegation play-off. And with the Premiership having been cut from 16 to 12 teams Hyatt believes the quality will be higher than ever.

“I think last season any side could have beaten each other and I think more so this season with the Premiership being squeezed down to 12 teams,” he said.

“That will mean there’s more quality within the Premiership and obviously that would just increase the standard. What we’ve found is that if we’re not playing well you lose and there’s no games that you can coast and scrape the points.

“This season will be even harder and every side has to be at their very best to get wins. The target we have set ourselves at the moment is to start well.

A couple of years ago we got to the final and we had a good start last year. We need to start well to get momentum into our season. What we have focussed on this summer is that our processes are crystal clear and one that we can all follow easily.

“Our preparation has also got to be spot on to give us a chance.”

Partners and Suppliers

Principal Partners
Principality
Official Broadcast Partners
BBC Cymru/Wales
S4C
Official Partners
Heineken
Isuzu
Guinness