Jump to main content

Lockyer named Pontypridd captain

Lockyer named Pontypridd captain

Dafydd Lockyer has been named Pontypridd captain

Dafydd Lockyer has been named as Pontypridd captain ahead of the new Indigo Group Premiership season.

Share this page:

The veteran centre will be supported by Rhys Shellard with the openside flanker having been named vice-captain. Justin Burnell’s side will kick-off their Premiership campaign with a visit to Cardiff on September 7.

The two players between them have amassed well over 600 appearances for Ponty over the past sixteen years and offer a wealth of experience on the field, as well as being big characters off the field capable of galvanising the younger squad members around them.

“I was chuffed to be asked to take on the role again this season, which realistically could be my last at senior level,” said Lockyer.

“I aim to play as much as I can and to go out on a high, leading the team to win some honours, which is long overdue. We have a strong squad coming together and will definitely be up for the challenge.

“To have Shelly as vice-captain will be good for me – we’ve been playing together since the age of fourteen and are great friends off the field. He’s a top class player and can be relied upon to lead from the front at all times.”

Partners and Suppliers

Principal Partners
Principality
Official Broadcast Partners
BBC Cymru/Wales
S4C
Official Partners
Heineken
Isuzu
Guinness