Jump to main content

Garland on the move again

Garland on the move again

James Garland in his Aberavon days

James Garland, one of the most consistent performers in the Indigo Group Premiership for more than a decade, will be stepping back in time next season by leaving Aberavon to return to Llandovery.

Share this page:

The 32-year-old outside half is taking up a player / coach role at Church Bank following the departure of Simon Davies as backs coach with the Drovers. Having learned his rugby at Birchgrove Comprehensive School he followed his father, brother and two uncles into the Vardre team.

His Aberavon debut came at the age of 18 when he took over from Jamie Davies against Cardiff on 23 September, 2006. He was named as man of the match after scoring 15 points in a notable 30-21 victory.

“It was definitely not the way I saw my season and my time finishing at Aberavon, but after more than 150 games over two spells I can honestly say I’ve loved every minute of it.  To get the chance to captain a great club was an honour,” said Garland.

He led the Wizards for two seasons, 2017-18 and 2018-19, and leaves for the second time in his career having played 161 games and scored 822 points. The arrival of former World Cup Sevens winner Aled Thomas restricted his appearances this season.

After announcing his decision to move on, Garland was described by Pontypridd skipper Dafydd Lockyer as a “top player and a top guy”. He will certainly be an asset at Church Bank, where he will battle with Jack Maynard for the No 10 shirt.

He scored 520 points for the Drovers between 2011-15 after joining them following spells at Carmarthen Quins and Swansea. He was coached at Llandovery by his former schoolmaster, Lyndon Lewis, and he then followed him to the Talbot Athletic Ground.

He has plundered 1,248 points for his four Premiership clubs, but still has his sights set on more next season. His final match for the Wizards was against Llanelli at Parc y Scarlets, where he signed off with a brilliant individual try.

Partners and Suppliers

Principal Partners
Principality
Official Broadcast Partners
BBC Cymru/Wales
S4C
Official Partners
Heineken
Isuzu
Guinness