Jump to main content

McBryde becomes a Knight as Roberts goes Red

Billy McBryde

Billy McBryde

Billy McBryde has become the latest Welshman to be recruited by former Wales defence coach Clive Griffiths at Doncaster Knights.

Share this page:

Last season’s top scorer in the Indigo Group Premiership is heading even further north from RGC 1404 into the semi-pro world of the English Championship to try to advance his career

The 22-year-old former Wales age-grade international ended last season with 163 points and played 50 games on the trot for the Gogs. Having come through the Scarlets Academy, he won caps at U18 and U20 level, helping Wales U20 to win the Grand Slam in 2016.

“Billy is a great fit for us as a developing team, he has a very strong and varied kicking game which we really like,” said Knights head coach Steve Boden.

“He has a lot of areas in which to grow, which is exciting with the drive and ambition he has – particularly working alongside Joe Ford. Billy will give us great balance, and drive competition in the fly-half position with Sam Olver, which can only be a good thing for the team and for both players as individuals.”

While Griffiths oversees rugby matters at Doncaster, there are plenty of other Welshmen in the squad. Former Dragons prop Dan Suter is joined in the front row by ex-Ospreys prop Marc Thomas, while Scarlets No 8 Rory Pitman is a powerhouse in the back row.

Kyle Evans, who was named as the Premiership Player of the Year in the 2017/18 season, is entering his second season at the club on the wing.

“I’m extremely grateful for the opportunity to be part of a new-look Knights squad and testing myself in a tough league,” said McBryde.

“Even after my first conversation with Steve, the ambition he had for the Club was clear and I’m looking forward to linking up with the staff and players and putting on the Knights jersey for the upcoming season.”

Meanwhile, former Leicester Tigers and Cardiff Blues centre Jack Roberts has joined Jersey Reds. The 28-year-old, Bangor-born midfield ace was dogged by injuries when he joined Cardiff after making 38 appearances for Tigers in a three season spell in the Midlands.

Having begun his senior career with Llandovery, he moved to England in 2014 and spent a period on loan at Rotherham Titans. After leaving the Blues he spent last season at Doncaster Knights.

Namibian World Cup wing Lesley Klim, who was at the Ospreys last season, will be joining Roberts in Jersey.

Partners and Suppliers

Principal Partners
Principality
Official Broadcast Partners
BBC Cymru/Wales
S4C
Official Partners
Heineken
Isuzu
Guinness