Jump to main content

Panthers’ Simon shows his mettle

Simon Rees

Port Talbot Panthers player, first aider and Taibach Under 13s coach Simon Rees has found his calling on and off the field

Port Talbot Panthers player, first aider and Taibach junior coach Simon Rees believes he has found his calling on and off the field in the last 12 months.

Share this page:

The former RAF medic was working as a delivery driver for a firm of builders’ merchants when lockdown kicked in, but after seeing an advert for hospital porters, he decided to try to make a difference.

The 55 year old joined the Panthers mixed ability team last autumn soon after it was formed, encouraged by his friend and Panthers founder Andrew Harries.

“I had some experience as a medic and within a hospital environment so I thought I’d apply to be a porter. I was offered an interview, and then the post.

“The initial three months has turned into six and now there’s a potential for it to become a full-time position, which I’m thrilled with.

“I’m based at Morriston Hospital and it’s varied depending on the need. I enjoy working in A & E most as it’s so busy and different every shift. We have to don full PPE quickly and correctly and I’m glad to help in whatever way I can.

“As far as rugby is concerned, it’s definitely the best team sport in the world for me. I’d played in the forces, for an English club and for Taibach. I’ve also been a first aider for ten seasons and currently under 13 coach – under 14s next season.

“I’d heard of the Panthers, and thought perhaps I’ve got something I can give to the team, even as an ageing veteran!

“I enjoyed my first training session at Tata training ground and just thought if these guys who are less able than me, are more mobile then I can give it a go. There are male and female players of all ages and abilities. It really is a family and the Panthers has made a big difference within the town, enabling people who perhaps have always wanted to play rugby, to pull on a jersey and enjoy making a break, tackle or score a try.

“Everyone is there for each other on and off the field. Even now, if someone is struggling, there are many people behind the scenes ringing up for a chat or to meet in person, socially distanced of course.

“Some of the Panthers’ players are truly inspirational and I’m glad to now call them my friends. There are players with brain injuries, physical and mental disabilities but once they pull on a Panthers shirt they are teammates.”

One of Simon’s roles within the team is to help guide Jack Powles who is visually impaired.

“Along with Jack’s father Carl, I help guide him around the pitch during training and matches, I help him to throw in at the line-out and just support him to fulfil his ongoing desire to be involved in the game. I love engaging with and encouraging people of all backgrounds.

“It really is incredible to see the difference being part of a team makes to people’s lives. It’s literally all about inclusion and a case of #RugbyForAll as we say. Players can have as much – or little – gametime as they want. It’s not about the points but when you see the joy on faces of try scorers it’s amazing. I’m in awe of my teammates.

“I’m usually a front row forward but I’ve played all over the park for the Panthers.  We were lucky enough to play a game on Talbot Athletic Ground which was a dream come true for all of us, especially our top try scorer Joel Oates who scored a hat-trick.

“Everyone is desperate to get back to training – some players are sending in daily videos of their fitness routines – but we will work hard to keep everyone engaged until the time is right.”

Partners and Suppliers

Principal Partners
Principality
Official Broadcast Partners
BBC Cymru/Wales
S4C
Official Partners
Heineken
Isuzu
Guinness