Jump to main content

McBryde using Josh Adams as inspiration

McBryde using Josh Adams as inspiration

Billy McBryde

Billy McBryde is using Josh Adams as his inspiration as he keeps on working his way north to try to find a way back towards a full-time career with a Welsh region.

Share this page:

The 2016 Wales Under 20 Grand Slam outside half spent the past two seasons playing for Colwyn Bay-based RGC 1404 in the Welsh Premiership after being released by the Scarlets. Now he has picked up a contract in the English Championships at Doncaster Knights.

“I had two great seasons at RGC, but I want to push on in my career and challenge myself at a higher level,” said the 23-year-old McBryde, who had to battle with Welsh international Jarrod Evans and Scarlets pivot Dan Jones for a place in the Welsh side four years ago.

“Josh Adams is the role model I’m using. He was let go back the Scarlets, but worked his way into the Welsh team via Cinderford, Nottingham and Worcester Warriors

“Just look at him now. Moving to a new club, working under new coaches and playing with new players in a full-time environment is only going to bring out the best in me.

“I’m still quite young, but I’m also ambitious. I want to improve and I’m very excited to be working under Doncaster’s new backs coach, Joe Ford.

“I know I’m far from the finished article and I can’t wait to get started. I played 50 successive games at RGC, but I know there are no guarantees about a starting spot with the Knights – I’ll have to battle for a place.

“That has really got the fires burning in me and I can’t wait to meet my new team mates and learn as much as I can from them.”

McBryde will join former England U20 outside half Sam Olver in the battle for the No 10 shirt at Castle Park and knows he will have to more than match the consistency he showed with RGC if he is to make the grade in the Championship.

“I got a taste of playing against English teams from the Championship when I was playing for Llanelli during my time at the Scarlets. We played against Bristol and Nottingham in the old British & Irish Cup and I loved the experience,” he added.

“It will be a step up from what I’ve been used to, especially now that Saracens are in the division. But the fact the Knights will be training full-time will give me the chance to really develop my game.

“I’d love to be able to come back to Wales in the future and play regularly for a regional side, but now all my focus will be on winning a place in the Doncaster team and helping my new club to do well.”

Partners and Suppliers

Principal Partners
Principality
Official Broadcast Partners
BBC Cymru/Wales
S4C
Official Partners
Heineken
Isuzu
Guinness