Jump to main content

Cross Keys legend hits special milestone

Tom Lampard

Cross Keys second row Tom Lampard is set for his next major milestone

Cross Keys veteran Tom Lampard will make his 400th appearance for the club on Saturday afternoon in their WRU Championship Cup clash with Bedwas.

Share this page:

Lampard made his Cross Keys debut 16-years ago in 2005, and has also played for Newbridge, Pontllanfraith, and Fleur-de-Lys. The 36-year-old is a back-five forward by trade, but has also played wing and centre in the past.

Lampard is 12 short of breaking the record for most Cross Keys appearances held by former prop Richie Donovan, who sadly passed away recently at the age of 64.

“I spoke to Richard before he passed away and he told me to go for the record,” Lampard told the South Wales Argus.

“That was one of the last times that I spoke to him so it would be nice if I could reach that as well, but I’ll have to take it a game at a time and see how I go.” Lampard is Cross Keys’ captain for this season, and insists a long break from playing rugby due to the ongoing pandemic only made him more determined to reach 400 appearances.

“Coming back after so many months off, with no training and living a normal life, I was wondering whether I could get fit enough to play again,” admitted the builder.

“Some players have retired in the break and I did question myself but felt I wanted to see if I could still do it out there, and being so close to 400 meant I had to try. I am back in the rhythm now and enjoying it; I’ll never be as fit as I was before the pandemic and I didn’t think I’d still be doing the full 80 minutes!

“It took me over a week to get over our first competitive game back against Bargoed – I got bruises from minor bumps and that never used to happen. When I was younger I’d just need one recovery day and I was back ready but that really hit me for six.”

Elsewhere, Cardiff Met host in-form Ystrad Rhondda who have already qualified for the play-offs, while Lee Jarvis’ Beddau travel to Glamorgan Wanderers. Maesteg Harlequins will secure their place in the play-offs with victory over Tata Steel, with Ystalyfera hosting Trebanos in a Swansea Valley derby.

Partners and Suppliers

Principal Partners
Principality
Official Broadcast Partners
BBC Cymru/Wales
S4C
Official Partners
Heineken
Isuzu
Guinness