Jump to main content

Smith makes coaching return at Bridgend

Smith makes coaching return at Bridgend

Tom Smith in his playing days at the Ospreys

Former Cardiff Rugby forwards coach Tom Smith has been named as the new head coach at Indigo Group Premiership side Bridgend Ravens.

Share this page:

The 36-year-old former Ospreys and Wales U20 back row forward takes over the role that was filled by Steve Jones and Alun Wyn Davies last season. He left the Arms Park in March, 2021 having worked under both John Mulverhill and Dai Young.

He moved into coaching when a knee injury cruelly cut short his playing career. He made 94 appearances for the Ospreys between 2007-13, helping the region to win the Pro12 twice before he was forced to retire in 2015.

Following his retirement, he immediately stepped into coaching when he took up the role of Elite Youth Performance Manager at the region. He had previously coached at regional age-grade level and at his community club, Neath Athletic.

After acting as head coach for the Anglo Welsh and British & Irish Cup teams at the Ospreys, he was made assistant forwards coach. He headed to the Arms Park in 2018 to join Mulverhill and Jason Strange in a new coaching team.

“I’m delighted to be joining the coaching staff at Bridgend Ravens. It’s been nice to have a bit of time away from the game after my transition from the professional side of the game, but I’m really looking forward to getting back into things,” said Smith.

“Hopefully, I can bring some of my playing and coaching experience to the club and help us continue to build on the work that has already been done by Steve (Jones) and Alun Wyn (Davies). I’m excited about the challenge.”

Bridgend finished ninth in the Premiership last season, ending on a high with three successive wins over  Aberavon, Ebbw Vale and Llandovery.

Partners and Suppliers

Principal Partners
Principality
Official Broadcast Partners
BBC Cymru/Wales
S4C
Official Partners
Heineken
Isuzu
Guinness