Jump to main content

Old Trafford date keeps Strange away from Ebbw Vale dugout

Old Trafford date keeps Strange away from Ebbw Vale dugout

Wales U20 Head Coach Jason Strange.

Jason Strange will miss Ebbw Vale’s second outing in the Indigo Premiership this weekend because he has another pressing rugby engagement at OId Trafford. 

Share this page:

The former Wales U21 head coach, who returned to Eugene Cross Park this season to take over the coaching reigns from Greg Woods, will be part of the coaching team with St Helens as they try to win the Super League Grand Final for the fourth year in a row against Leeds Rhinos. 

Strange linked up with the rugby league giants four years ago after he was let go by Cardiff. His role as kicking coach at the Saints has seen him be involved in one of the most successful periods in their history. 

“Things have worked out pretty well for me since I left Cardiff. Going to St Helens has restored my faith in professional sport,” said Strange. 

“I work with Saints during the summer and then Ebbw Vale throughout the winter. I won’t; be at the RGC game on Saturday because of the Grand Final, but I’ll be back after that. 

“We saw 25 players leave Ebbw in the summer and we brought in 27. We’ve changed the profile of the club and Ive been really pleased with how quickly the squad has come together. 

“They’ve worked really hard and we had a great start with the win over Newport. We ripped it all up in the summer, brought younger players into the squad and told everyone we were going to reunite the club with the town. 

“It is all about getting the right people in the right jobs and everyone pulling in the same direction. With four teams who are virtually fully professional, and who get all the best academy players, it is not about winning trophies. 

“For us the major goal is to make the town proud of their rugby team once again.” 

Ceri Jones’ RGC side will present a tough challenge for the Steelmen in their first home game of the league campaign. The Gogs went down to Merthyr in their opening game and once again find themselves on the road. 

“It’s been a strange start to the season, with a game then a two-week break. We need to put in performance at Ebbw Vale to try to set us up for a good run,” said RGC scrum half Efan Jones 

It’s never an easy place to go to play and it‘s important we cut down the errors and penalty count which cost us against Merthyr. Points on the board are so important if we want to be competing in the top four.” 

Carmarthen Quins fans will get the chance to see Scarlets, Wales and British & Irish Lions star Ken Owens back in club colours for the first time since 2010 when he launches his comeback in the game against Swansea. 

The other games see Pontypridd hot Bridgend, Aberavon welcome Llanelli and Merthyr entertain Llandovery. 

Partners and Suppliers

Principal Partners
Principality
Official Broadcast Partners
BBC Cymru/Wales
S4C
Official Partners
Heineken
Isuzu
Guinness