Jump to main content

Camaraderie meets competition at the Renaissance Touch Rugby Cup

Camaraderie meets competition at the Renaissance Touch Rugby Cup

Last Saturday, the Renaissance Touch Rugby Cup celebrated its third bi-annual event.

Share this page:

Twelve teams vied against each other in the hotly contested vets’ touch rugby competition at host ground Cheptow RFC, with Britton Ferry Renegades claiming the title of touch rugby champions.

But for the 180 players taking part, it’s as much about the camaraderie and friendship, as it is about the competition.

Nick Pearce, Founder of the Renaissance Cup explains the positive impact of reengaging with a sport previously thought lost to many players, “The Renaissance Cup was created to showcase that rugby is for everyone. It shows the multiple benefits of playing a team sport, and that it does not need to stop when you are unable to play the contact version of the game. No longer playing a sport you love can often have a serious impact on mental health and well-being, people are actively looking for an outlet to simply have fun with like-minded people.”

Vets Touch Rugby is an inclusive, non-contact format of the game for the over 40’s. Whilst there is a competitive element to the sport, the primary objective of touch rugby is to create an enjoyable, social format, allowing more people to engage in rugby regardless of ability.

“Many players repeatedly state that their lives have been enriched by being part of the touch rugby community. They have made new friends within the club and in the wider rugby community, they have contributed to our local area and feel happier and fitter as a result,” added Pearce.

The adopted ethos of the touch rugby community can be summed up in a quote by Welsh rugby icon and wordsmith, Eddie Butler, “You can take rugby seriously, but you must not take yourself too seriously”, and the event on Saturday began with a moments silence, followed by a rousing applause in tribute to the broadcaster and former Wales captain.

“I am immensely proud to say that third Renaissance tournament was an outstanding success with 10 teams, well over 100 players and approximately 200 people witnessing incredibly competitive, fair and fun touch rugby at Chepstow RFC. The winners of the day were the outstanding Briton Ferry Renegades. Not only winning the tournament but also for bringing the music and laughter to the whole event. It was a day of fantastic weather, inspirational stories, great rugby, great food and an evening of song and laughter that many of the spectators and participants will remember forever. Hosted by Chepstow Gold and Chepstow RFC the event also raised more than £1500 for Mind Monmouthshire who do fantastic work supporting our local community.”

The low barrier to the sport has been credited for the rise in enquiries for walking and touch rugby teams in Wales. Geraint John WRU Community Director says, “There’s a huge benefit to hosting events like the Renaissance Cup, as it does a fantastic job of raising the profile of touch rugby in Wales. We’ve seen the number of clubs that offer a no-contact format of rugby such as Walking Rugby or Vets Touch Rugby grow in the last two years. The number of enquiries from rugby clubs wanting to start teams or individuals searching for local teams to join has increased significantly during this time. It’s fantastic to see so many clubs participating, playing the game and being active.”

“You don’t need any experience to start playing, Touch Rugby is open to everyone, a jersey for all. It’s about removing barriers and getting people into sport, that not only benefits a person physically, but it has a positive impact on mental well-being.”

Gareth John, player for touch rugby team Chepstow Gold shares his story, “I play for a touch rugby team in South Wales, and this is something 12 years ago I would ever say again. 12 years ago, a surgeon told me I had two options, either I lose my leg, or I lose all my muscles and tendons in my leg. Loosing muscles and tendons was the outcome, but as of the result I stopped playing a sport I loved.”

“Then a year ago, I had the opportunity to join Chepstow Gold’s rugby club, and what an opportunity it was. It’s something I’ve never looked back from, and it’s something that’s allowed me to carry out my passion of playing rugby all over again. The boys of Chepstow have been really welcoming, and they’ve accepted me in, even though I’m more of an Adam Jones than a James Hook, but it has allowed me to realise all the camaraderie, commitment and banter that is part of rugby that has missing in my life. Just remember, if the spirit is willing, the body will help you get there.”

More information on Vets Touch Rugby or to find local Walking Rugby or Touch Rugby teams near you, take a look at the WRU Game Locker www.wrugamelocker.wales

Partners and Suppliers

Principal Partners
Principality
Official Broadcast Partners
BBC Cymru/Wales
S4C
Official Partners
Heineken
Isuzu
Guinness