Jump to main content

Baker rises to occasion for CAVC

CAVC

Cardiff & Vale College ate through to the semi-finals of the World Schools Tournament in Thailand

Welsh champions Cardiff & Vale College are through to the semi-finals of the World Schools Tournament in Thailand after coming from behind to beat the 2019 Leinster Schools winners, St Michael’s College, 12-10. 

Share this page:

The Irish side is acknowledged as having one of the best rugby programmes in Dubin and has provided Leinster with a stream of talent this century, including Irish internationals James Ryan, Max Deegan, Ross Byrne, Ross Moloney, Luke McGrath, Rory O’Loughlin and Noel Reid. 

Playing in temperatures above 30 degrees, in stark contrast to the cold night at Parc y Scarlets when they scored two tries in the final five minutes to beat Coleg Sir Gar in the WRU National Schools & Colleges Cup final last week, they led through a try by inspirational skipper Saul Hurley. 

That came from a beautifully executed driving line-out and was converted. St Michael’s hit back to lead 10-7 before another line-out sparked the winning score for the Welsh side. 

This time it was quick ball from the set-piece in the St Michael’s 22 and outside half Tom Hughes looped around the first receiver to send full back Scott Delnevo into a hole. He then drew the final defender before sending Flynn Baker racing over in the left-hand corner for the winning score. 

“We sometimes talk ourselves down too much in Wales, and heap praise on the systems in place in other countries, but this was a win that to me proved the A Licence programme we have in Wales is very much fit for purpose,” said CAVC director of rugby, Maryn Fowler.

“St Michael’s were gutted to lose the game to us and are seen as one of the top school team in Dublin. Their production line of talent to Leinster is well known and they were a very tough side. 

“They were incredibly physical at the breakdown and I can only praise the resilience, commitment and character shown by my team. They simply refused to give up or be beaten.” 

CAVC will now face Grey College, from Bloemfontein, in the semi-final on Thursday, who comfortably defeated reigning English Schools champions Trinity.

Partners and Suppliers

Principal Partners
Principality
Official Broadcast Partners
BBC Cymru/Wales
S4C
Official Partners
Heineken
Isuzu
Guinness