Jump to main content

Hat trick heroes all round in Girls Plate Final

Seren Lockwood

Seren Lockwood of Quins races in to score

Whitchurch HS product Seren Lockwood did something that not even the greatest of rugby alumni from her school managed as she scored a hat-trick of tries to guide Cardiff Quins Girls to victory in the WRU Girls National Plate U16 Cup final at Principality Stadium. 

Share this page:

Where Sam Warburton, Owen Lane and Chrisitan Tshuinza had trod before her, so the 15-year-old showed her class to lead her side to a stunning 46-29 triumph over Bala-based Gwylliaid Meirionnydd to erase the bitter memories of defeat in the U15 final a year ago. 

“I was so excited to be playing here with all my best friends and there were three of us from Whitchurch HS in the side – myself, Poppy Keigwin and Sophie Southgate,” said Lockwood 

Quins captain Grace Daly receives the trophy

“I was a little bit nervous, but everything we had done in training paid off and we scored at the right moments. 

“I scored once here last year, when we lost to the Nelson Belles. The majority of us were back for another shot and we said in the dressing room before the game that we’d give everything to try to get the win.” 

Lockwood broke from the base of a scrum 10 metres out to score the opening try of the game to set the stage for victory and then showcased her speed with an interception run in from the 10 metre line. 

There was also a hat-trick of tries for full back Saran Jones, who topped the second effort from Lockwood by getting everyone in the stadium on their feet with a race from her own goalline to the posts at the other end to complete her hat-trick. 

“I feel like we’ve won even though we lost.

It feels great to have scored three tries and it was the highlight of the whole tournament for me,” said Jones. “I was buzzing, although I got cramp at half-way on my way to the final try.”  

Gwylliaid Meirionnydd captain, Efa Jones, wasn’t at all downhearted at the end of the game and was rightly proud of the performance put up by her team. 

“It was definitely a great experience to be able to play on a pitch where all our heroes play – it was incredible. It is the best we’ve played even though we lost,” she said. 

Partners and Suppliers

Principal Partners
Principality
Official Broadcast Partners
BBC Cymru/Wales
S4C
Official Partners
Heineken
Isuzu
Guinness