Jump to main content

Promotion and a trip to the Palace for Treorchy stalwart Bryan James

Bryan James

Bryan James and his wife Mary at Buckingham Palace

As he steps down as Treorchy RFC secretary after close on 50 years in the role, Bryan James couldn’t have asked for a much better send off.

Share this page:

His final season at the helm has culminated in the club securing promotion to the Admiral Championship from Division 1 East Central. In addition, his decades of service have been recognised by a trip to Buckingham Palace to attend a royal garden party hosted by the Prince and Princess of Wales.

James played for Treorchy at outside half and centre from 1961 to 1973. He then moved onto the admin side, starting off as fixture secretary, before going on to become secretary in 1976, making him one of Welsh rugby’s longest serving club officials.

There have been some memorable days along the way, including the years of ‘The Dream’ in the early 1990s, when the Zebras played in the top-flight of the Welsh league pyramid.

“We came third in all of Wales the one season and we had the honour of playing the Fijian touring team in 1995. It was the best level of rugby we have ever played,” said James.

“We hosted Canterbury when they came over on tour, and we played Northern Transvaal. Then, in Europe, we played Bristol, Northampton and Saracens – they were heady days!”

James, who was honoured for his long service by the Rugby Union Writers’ Club in 2017, has also watched on with pride as products of the club have gone on to play for Wales, notably Andrew Bishop and Tomos Williams.

Bryan James receiving an award for his loyal service from Adam Jones at the Rugby Writers’ Club annual dinner

Now, after so many years in the post, he is stepping down, with his final game having brought the victory over Porth Harlequins which clinched promotion to the Championship.

“It was a lovely way to finish. The team is pretty much all home-grown, made up of ex-Youth players, while we have got quite a strong mini and youth section. The club is very healthy in terms of player resources,” he added.

A former civil engineer, James, now 80, will still be very much involved with the club as he has been elected President, which he describes as a real honour. So, more than 60 years after he first walked through the gates at The Oval, what is it that has kept him on board for so long?

“I just love the place – it’s the camaraderie, the banter. To be honest, I prefer watching the game at our level than the regional game because the ball is moved around more,” said James.

And what about the trip to Buckingham Palace? How did that come about?

“I believe my brother contacted our MP, Chris Bryant, to coincide with my 80th birthday this year, outlining how long I had been involved with the club,” he explained.

“Next thing I knew, I had a letter from the Lord Lieutenant’s office and an invite to a garden party at the Palace. It was especially nice for my wife, Mary. When I said I was finishing as secretary she said ‘Oh thank God, I can get my airing cupboard back’ because it’s full of files.”

Club chairman Andrew Jones has worked alongside James for more than 25 years and has huge admiration and gratitude for his contribution.

“I became chairman a couple of years after ‘The Dream’. Bryan’s experience and his knowledge were invaluable in bridging that period from ‘The Dream’, with all the money and the stars, back to being a community club again,” said Jones.

“Players have come and gone, but he has been the constant thread throughout and has enabled Treorchy to grow into the strong community club it is today. If you had a dozen like Bryan on your committee, every club would be in a far better position.

“Longevity isn’t something you are seeing as much nowadays. Bryan is old school in that sense. I don’t think you will see many other people making that level of commitment over so many years.”

Reflecting on the health of the Zebras – who wait to learn which regional section of the new-look Championship they will play in next season – Jones added: “There is a really good spirit in the club and promotion is great. It will give us added impetus to drive on even further. The effort Bryan has put in has allowed us to become the club we are today.”

Partners and Suppliers

Principal Partners
Principality
Official Broadcast Partners
BBC Cymru/Wales
S4C
Official Partners
Heineken
Isuzu
Guinness