Jump to main content

Penallta proud to promote local talent

Penallta proud to promote local talent

Penallta celebrating gaining promotion to the Championship.

A season that began with disruption and then defeats has ended with Penallta RFC gaining promotion to the Championship for the first time.

Share this page:

The club lost their head coach Jack Condy in the opening weeks of the campaign, with the ex-Scarlets No 8 moving on to Cross Keys and subsequently to Bargoed.

That saw former coach Matthew Tucker step into the breach and he has navigated the team through an initial bumpy period to finish third in Division One and secure a place in the second-tier of Welsh club rugby.

“Obviously it’s been a tough season for us,” said Tucker.

“We started off with high expectations because of the strength of the squad and what we have achieved over the last couple of years.

“But then we quickly lost Jack, a few players left, we had a number of injuries and we found ourselves in a difficult situation.

“We had a spell over Christmas that was really tough. But, in true Penallta fashion, we stuck together and got through that.

“We developed a number of younger players and had a really positive end to the season, winning 10 games out of 11, to secure promotion. We are massively pleased with the outcome at the end.”

The club will now compete in the east division of the new two-section Championship, alongside the likes of Bedwas, Cross Keys and Ystrad Rhondda, as well as Bargoed, who Condy has joined.

“It’s going to be a massive challenge,” admitted Tucker.
“We are going to stick to our morals of not paying players and you play for the club because you want to.

“We are not going to compete financially. We just want boys to have that opportunity of playing in the Championship and doing something no other side has done in the club before.

“We are a family club that develop from within. There’s a big emphasis on our home-grown talent. Our mini and junior section is the core to our success and has been for the last 15 years really.

“We have that culture of wanting to play for Penallta. It’s a wonderful club to be part of and the structure is right from top to bottom. We haven’t clouded that by paying for players.

“I think the fact the team are best mates on and off the field is a huge part. They have grown up together from mini and junior level and most went to the same schools and are from the same communities.”

Looking ahead, he said: “It will be a year to understand what the Championship is about and develop younger players. All the games will pretty much be local derbies now. We know on our day, certainly at home, we can compete with most of those teams.”

Tucker will now be changing roles, overseeing the rugby management, with former player Andrew Jenkins stepping up from an assistant’s role to be head coach.

“I have had a lot of history with the club and was involved in their promotions up through the leagues from Division 5 and two WRU Plates, so I guess I was the natural person to come back in and steer the ship, but always with the intention that it would only be for the season and we would develop coaches underneath me to come through,” said Tucker.

For team manager Gareth Bisp, a former scrum-half at Pontypridd, Ebbw Vale and Newbridge, promotion stands out as the highlight of his 14 years at the club.

“When Jack left in September time, it was unfortunate and we had to rejig our coaching staff,” he said.

“Matthew came in and did a great job. He’s been at the club since he was a kid. He is Mr Penallta. He is a fantastic character and the club wouldn’t be where it is today without him.

“It was tough up until Christmas. We went on a losing run for five games and it was backs against the wall, but we dug deep, stuck together and the results came.”

Bisp, who has previously coached the first and second teams, added: “The club has made unbelievable progress over the years.

“It’s all community based, all the lads have come through our mini and junior section. It’s the ethos of the club, through the badge really, and getting people to love the place. We make people feel valued.

“Players stay, they don’t want to go anywhere else and that’s where the success has come from. I love it, it’s a special place for anyone to come and play rugby.

“We are all excited about going into the Championship now. It’s the highest we have been in my 14 years here. It’s a big step for us, but you have got to be ambitious and give it a go and see what you can do.”

Partners and Suppliers

Principal Partners
Principality
Official Broadcast Partners
BBC Cymru/Wales
S4C
Official Partners
Heineken
Isuzu
Guinness